FF7 NES Conversion Patch

Post region conversions such as JPN to US here, also game to game conversions IE Star Fox to Star Fox 2.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
DeathByBFG

FF7 NES Conversion Patch

Post by DeathByBFG » June 12th, 2016, 10:15 am

Hello! So I have a repro copy of FF7 for the NES. Works great on the NES but doesn't work on the Retron 5. Is anyone able to create a conversion patch for this game? I think it may be fitting to either use the American Final Fantasy or Japanese FF3 (Famicom).

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: FF7 NES Conversion Patch

Post by R9delta » June 12th, 2016, 8:01 pm

Final Fantasy VII (Apply to FF1 US ver.):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wjqvh ... +US%29.ips

This patch i've made will convert FF1 to the most thorough/complete version of the FFVII romhack.

DeathByBFG

Post by DeathByBFG » June 12th, 2016, 10:25 pm

Awesome! I just sampled this and it works wonderfully! Thank you! If possible and if you're not too busy would you be willing to share the process of how to make a conversion patch?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » June 24th, 2016, 11:03 am

Yeah. Here's an example I posted to someone else.

"1. Google and download Lunar IPS
2. Download both a clean rom for the famicom version of Ghostbusters (Ghostbusters (J).nes) and New Ghostbusters 2 (New Ghostbusters II (J).nes)
3. Have the roms and lunar ips in a same folder you'd like to work in
4. Open Lunar IPS and click create IPS patch
5. Select Ghostbusters (J).nes and click open
6. Select New Ghostbusters II (J).nes and click open
7. You're done. Take the patch that was created and use it on the Retron 5 for your Ghostbusters Famicom cartridge.

These instructions should pretty much apply to any nes, genesis, and gameboy/color game. Snes/Super Famicom games require a few steps prior to doing this but i'll get into that later. You also need to make sure you're working with good clean dumped roms. Basically the patches you make are made for the specific rom you choose and nothing else so if you make a patch from a hacked version or bad dump of a game on accident the patch is going to have issues when you go to use it against an actual cartridge (which presumably ends up a good dumped rom) on your Retron."

Change the Ghostbusters rom examples to the roms you want to convert from (Ghostbusters) and to (New Ghostbusters II). I think this will hopefully help people realize what I do is actually a lot simpler than i'm given credit for. The process only gets a little more complicated when it involves having to stack multiple patches, converting between patch forms or doing snes roms which require a few other steps first. It's pretty easy otherwise in my opinion

DeathByBFG

Post by DeathByBFG » June 28th, 2016, 5:53 am

That is easier than I thought it would be. Thank you for those steps. What are the pre-steps when dealing with SNES/SFAMICOM games?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » June 28th, 2016, 10:11 pm

When making a Super Nintendo/SFC patch you need to remove the header of the rom you're patching from as well as the rom you're patching to (well technically not on what you're patching to but it's just cleaner that way). The reason for this is most roms out there have headers but the Retron 5 doesn't dump them that way so making a patch from a rom with a header tends to cause problems. You need to use this tool to remove a header from a rom:

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/

Use this on the snes/sfc roms you're working with before proceeding any further when making a patch. That said if you run the tool on a rom and the option to remove the header is greyed out, then the rom is already headerless and you're good to go.

Alternatively a good thing I suggest is emuparadise.me has a section for "complete rom sets" under roms, isos and games. The SNES rom set hosted on here contains roms that do not have headers. If you're going to work with SNES roms I highly suggest downloading their complete set as it can save you a lot of time.

Keep in mind all of this is very useful but mostly just converting from one game to another. All of the instructions i've given thus far won't cover every patching scenario you might run into. Occasionally there are translation patches out there you might want to use that will actually only work on a rom with a header or you may want to stack multiple hacks or patches on a game and in that case is where it requires thinking outside the box a little. These kinds of scenarios might be either easier for someone else to explain or it's just something that needs to be shown and not really written in a tutorial.

InspectorSnide

Post by InspectorSnide » May 28th, 2019, 9:00 am

Just watched a YouTube video of a guy playing this (after I purchased it and couldn't get it to work on my Retron 5). He linked this thread in his comments and it's worked, so thank you very much :)

micky66

Post by micky66 » February 28th, 2024, 4:23 am

The "FF7 NES Conversion Patch" is a fan-made modification for the original Final Fantasy VII game that aims to recreate the game's experience in an 8-bit NES style. This patch replaces the original game's graphics, music, and gameplay elements with those reminiscent of classic NES games. It offers a nostalgic twist for players looking to experience Final Fantasy VII in a retro format, reminiscent of early Nintendo Entertainment System games. The patch is not an official release from Square Enix but is instead created by fans as a homage to the classic 8-bit era of gaming. Players can apply the patch to their legally acquired Final Fantasy VII game files to enjoy this unique retro experience. https://nellykini.com/