SNES /SFC Must have game conversions and requests

Post region conversions such as JPN to US here, also game to game conversions IE Star Fox to Star Fox 2.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Lilith
לילית

Re: SNES /SFC (JPN) to (US) Must have game conversions

Post by Lilith » November 26th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Is it possible to do Dragon Quest III for SFC? I'm aware that there's an NES version, but I assume the SFC version is superior much like the SFC version of I+II is to NES/GBC.

Thanks.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » November 26th, 2014, 11:57 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zmhtz ... st+III.ips

This one actually didnt require any work. The one off romhacking already uses a clean unheadered rom so I just tested it to make sure it works and pasted it into my own database.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » November 27th, 2014, 2:32 am

Just a hypothetical (for now at least): Is the FF4 JP to US translation patch the same for the "Easy type" and the "Hard type"? What is really the difference between them? I mean, I assume Easy Type is easier, but other than that, I'm kinda in the dark.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » November 27th, 2014, 12:00 pm

The patches (the one meant to be applied to a standard FFIV cartridge and the one meant to be applied to a FFII US cartridge) I have are just the normal version of the game....or hard type as it's sometimes referred to.

As far as the differences between normal and easy type this website seems to cover most of it:
http://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy_IV/Version_Differences

Something to keep in mind that a lot of people tend to mistakenly claim...Final Fantasy II US is not necessarily the same as Final Fantasy IV Easy Type, although they do share a few similarities. As far as me fixing up a patch for Easy Type...it'll probably be awhile before I get around to it if I ever do.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » November 28th, 2014, 10:23 pm

So I found this http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/419/ Would you even need to remove the header on that, or is it good to go like the DQ3 patch was? Also, I assume I can just apply it to FFII US? I figured I can just do that instead of getting the FFIV Easy Type SFC cart and possibly not having a patch for that.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » November 29th, 2014, 2:08 am

That patch will work on FF II US v.1.1 as is on the Retron 5 but any other variation you'd be out of luck so i've fixed it to work on the others as well.

Final Fantasy II -is- Easy Type (Apply to FFII US v1.0):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/l6ckg ... 1.0%29.ips

Final Fantasy II -is- Easy Type (Apply to FFII US v1.1):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/vrv7v ... 1.1%29.ips

Final Fantasy II -is- Easy Type (Apply to FFIV JPN):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/z7who ... JPN%29.ips

I thought about just grabbing and fixing the straight translation for Final Fantasy IV Easy Type instead of this rom hack but to be honest all the translation patches that exist are not far enough along where'd i'd be happy even bothering to fix them for the Retron 5.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » November 29th, 2014, 3:44 am

How exactly would I be able to tell what version my game is, other than trial and error with trying the patches? I've never really understood this, despite how much I use my Retron. I feel like I should know this by now. At first, my idea was looking in the system menu to how the game's name appears in the internal storage, but I don't think that gives versions, just J/U/E.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » November 29th, 2014, 11:07 am

Lilith wrote:trial and error
You got it, lol.

Edit: In all seriousness in the 2.0 beta firmwares for the Retron 5 there was a spot where you could check what the CRC is of the dumped cartridge you have inserted which you could check against the headerless clean dumps of roms you have on your computer. If it matches then you know that's what version you have. I don't think there's anywhere that lists that in the latest stable firmware though. For most people this requires just as much work as just trial and error if not actually a lot more depending on their computer and tv setup and if they've already got the roms to compare against.

Trial and error usually suffices when it comes to patches because it if doesn't match you'll commonly find that out right away (glitchiness, doesn't boot, etc..) or in pretty short time at least.

kingslime

Post by kingslime » December 6th, 2014, 7:00 pm

R9delta wrote:Yeah no one has made one likely due to the fact there's been no need to. Anyway I've made a patch myself to convert from DQ IV to the US version (Dragon Warrior IV):

I realize it may not be ideal if you're a purist but that's about the best that can be done since no one has actually made a literal translation for the famicom version besides the official localization.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your hard work, R9Delta!
I landed on this topic while searching for JP to EN patches for my famicom/super famicom carts, and found my grail here. I downloaded your Dragon Quest IV (J) to Dragon Warrior IV (US) conversion patch, works like a charm. How did you create it?

I'm desperately searching for a NTSC-J to U patch for Dragon Quest 3 (J) on the famicom, but only find translation patches for the super famicom version (obviously). Can you please help me on this one?
As you can guess from my avatar, I'm a big fan of the franchise :D

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » December 7th, 2014, 10:24 am

No problem :)

Dragon Quest III (JPN) to DW III (US) - Famicom:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3qlz1 ... 8US%29.ips

NES JPN->US conversions are easy. Just use a program like Lunar IPS to create a patch between the 2 roms (the jpn version you're converting from and the US one you're converting to) and that's it. SNES conversions are a little bit more involved.