Unofficial Compatibility List

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
approveprogress

Re: Unofficial Compatibility List

Post by approveprogress » February 3rd, 2024, 11:34 am

Hey everyone, I've got a bit of a head-scratcher with my Retron 5 and I'm hoping some of you experienced retro gamers might have some insights. I've encountered an issue with two games that are listed as compatible, but they just won't cooperate.

So, here's the situation: I've tried using the patching system in the beta, and when I loaded these games alongside another, they ran smoothly. However, when inserted into the Retron 5 on their own, one game does absolutely nothing – the system only acknowledges it if there's another cartridge alongside. The other game, on the other hand, consistently shows up as an "unknown cartridge," and attempting to play it results in a blank gray screen.

Now, before we jump to conclusions, both games are on the official compatibility list, and they work flawlessly in their original systems. I've opened and cleaned them multiple times, ruling out any obvious issues there.

Here's where it gets interesting – I'm using a GBA dust cover from a DS Lite, and even if I remove the PCB, if it's too far into the Retron, it throws a fit and tells me there are multiple cartridges inserted when there's something else in. Has anyone else experienced this with alternative dust covers?

On a side note, The Sims Bustin' Out for GBA isn't on the compatibility list. It doesn't get recognized for me, but it played. I didn't want to risk messing up my girlfriend's childhood save, so I haven't tested it extensively.