tips for streaming from a RetroN 5?

Look at other people's screenshots or post your own. Videos of gameplay, tutorials, reviews, etc.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Kulp

tips for streaming from a RetroN 5?

Post by Kulp » March 14th, 2015, 11:15 am

total streaming noob here.

what's the best equipment to buy? cheapest place to buy it?
already have the retron 5 and a new Mac desktop....

I know this is going to be a little pricy, I just wanna do it.
anyone have any tips for a streaming beginner like me?
-Kulp
view my video game collection here:
http://backloggery.com/Kulp

Kulp

Re: tips for streaming from a RetroN 5?

Post by Kulp » March 14th, 2015, 1:19 pm

OK, so I found out that the Elgato Game Capture HD60 will work with RetroN 5, so I'm going ahead and buying one.. looks like $150 free ship from amazon.com

I will update after I get everything sorted out with this and twitch. I WANT TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN, SO I AM FINALLY TRYING!
-Kulp

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » March 15th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Let us know how it goes, I'm kind of interested in recording/streaming the R5 as well

Kulp

Post by Kulp » March 21st, 2015, 1:12 pm

http://www.twitch.tv/kulpdogg

ok, I got it working. finally.
that was so annoying though.
ok, so I have a Mac, I downloaded OBS, but that only captures my computer screen....

elgato has a program called game capture hd, that works great, BUT when I go to stream to Twitch, it's all green and horrible looking and I can't figure out why, SO
me being the smartie pants that I am, I use both programs, and use OBS to capture the screen-preview of my non-streaming gamecapture hd app, and then stream through OBS.
so it works, and I figured out the sound by downloading ANOTHER app called Soundflower.

horrible experience, but I found a loop-hole that works wonders for me so far.
check out my stream, follow me.
I plan on playing a crap-ton of games with retron 5. and... I have TONS.
:)
-Kulp

Retroguy

Post by Retroguy » May 27th, 2015, 12:40 am

My son likes to make "Let's Play" videos of gameplay and post them on YouTube.

We purchased a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition capture device and it works well for the Xbox360 and Wii using HDMI. There is also software at an additional cost for the Mac which we have as well. Note that on the Mac it is really nice to edit the captured video on iMovie and post directly to YouTube.

However, when he wanted to use it to capture video from the Retron5, the audio was at a higher frequency by about 10%. The music all sounded like it was being played at too high of speed. We went round and round with the vendor and in the end determined the problem was due to the low HDMI frequency produced by the Retron5. The final and only solution that worked extremely well was to use a HDMI-to-component converter (a piece of hardware) and use that as the component input for the capture device instead of HDMI.

Albeit, it was a pain to figure it out, the final solution worked extremely well and is easy to do for anyone who has the Hauppauge device and the HDMI-to-component converter which is very cheap at Frys Electronics. The reason why it works is that the HDMI converter changes the low frequency HDMI digital signal to an analog component signal, and then the capture device is then digitally resampling the signal at a higher rate. There is no noticeable video degradation and the sound is perfectly synchronized.

Hope that helps someone else who wants a simple solution to capture Retron5 video.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » July 1st, 2015, 9:33 pm

So I have an older Elgato (just the HD, not HD60, which I hear the HD60 is only for newer stuff like current/last gen)

In short, the old HD works for every console I own. And that's a lot.

Just set it to HDMI and it's good to go. I've streamed Pokemon Green, Lufia II, Phantasia, and Pokemon Crystal on it without any trouble.