SNES /SFC Must have game conversions and requests

Post region conversions such as JPN to US here, also game to game conversions IE Star Fox to Star Fox 2.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
cogwheels

Re: SNES /SFC Must have game conversions and requests

Post by cogwheels » January 30th, 2015, 1:38 pm

I am probably being really thick here - but I've tried several of the patches (Rockman X3, Chrono Trigger) and each time I get an error saying the patch failed to load. Any thoughts?

ZForceFFC

Post by ZForceFFC » January 31st, 2015, 7:25 am

Have you tried using both on and off for the "Patch expects header" setting? Thats the only thing I can think of offhand

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » January 31st, 2015, 9:48 pm

So wait, would it even be required to mess with that FE patch? I'm a bit lost because I suppose I don't understand the difference between removing a headered rom and using the Retron to remove it via that option to expect headered roms.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 1st, 2015, 12:01 am

Lilith wrote:So wait, would it even be required to mess with that FE patch? I'm a bit lost because I suppose I don't understand the difference between removing a headered rom and using the Retron to remove it via that option to expect headered roms.
To give kind of a quick background overview: When the Retron 5 dumps the cartridge to memory it does so without a header...it's just a straight clean rom. This is different compared to rom dumpers back in the peak of the Super Nintendo's popularity where the dumper will add a "header" on to the rom before getting uploaded on to the internet. The problem with why a lot of patches won't work stems from the fact that most patches were written at the time expecting the header to be there. Hyperkin added the option sometime in v2.0 beta 3 or 4 to either fake a header on top of the rom that's been dumped or to modify the patch (i'm not sure which it's actually doing though)

The reason why I remove the header from all roms I fix/recreate a patch for is for a few reasons: first is because the "expects header" option does not work 100% and will not fix all patches on it's own. The second is because when I started fixing patches up for people (including myself) that option wasn't there at the time...meaning about 90%* of patches out there were broken without assistance. The owner of this forum hikaricore can attest to that. The third reason is because..well, If i'm going to maintain a "one-stop" shop for people to download translation patches that are hopefully guaranteed to work on their Retron 5 then it's best to make the patches as easy and as consistent as possible to use.

* - 90% statement may be pulled from my ass
Last edited by R9delta on February 1st, 2015, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » February 1st, 2015, 3:28 am

^ this

asmith906

Post by asmith906 » February 2nd, 2015, 5:49 pm

I was thinking of getting the Japanese carts for Breath of Fire 1&2. Is it possible to convert them to the US version?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 2nd, 2015, 11:34 pm

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 2nd, 2015, 11:35 pm

asmith906 wrote:I was thinking of getting the Japanese carts for Breath of Fire 1&2. Is it possible to convert them to the US version?
There are Breath of Fire 1 and 2 patches here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/t8n2e ... 8US%29.ips
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cecxa ... 8US%29.ips

Edit-R9Delta ninja'd me

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 2nd, 2015, 11:37 pm

;)

narkosis

Post by narkosis » February 7th, 2015, 2:10 am

Looking for zelda: a link to the past translation. I tried the one listed on the front page, and every time i hit the wall (sword, boomerang) the game goes blank.

Perhaps a differ version?

Thanks for any assist.