How To Edit XML Cheat File

Discussing modding and hacking your Retro Freak.
Forum rules
Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Mephestopheles

How To Edit XML Cheat File

Post by Mephestopheles » September 9th, 2017, 11:27 pm

just purchased a Retron 5 and downloaded the cheat file 1.2 and it works fine on some games but does not include many NES games such as Wizards and Warriors, Metroid etc. . I have downloaded a few XML Editors and tried changing a few codes and names etc with no luck. any help would be appreciated on how to get the cheats to show up on the console. Surprisingly there's no tutorials on this for some reason.

Mephestopheles

Re: How To Edit XML Cheat File

Post by Mephestopheles » September 10th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Riddle me this, Ive looked into the XML code and see tons of games such as Wizards and Warriors with over 100 codes but when I put in my NTSC USA 100% Authentic Cartridge the codes don't show up, same with Metroid so confusing, do I have to buy a bunch of Metroid Carts and hope one will work with the codes?? this is so stupid

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » September 11th, 2017, 4:11 pm

The only thing I can recommend trying is to download either the exact rom that matches the cartridge you have or just a complete NES romset from somewhere like emuparadise (referred to as an "NES Goodset") and use a tool like RapidCRC (http://rapidcrc.sourceforge.net/) to check the CRC of a particular rom of a cartridge you have to see if it matches the Retron 5's database and if it doesn't to change the CRC it's looking for in the XML accordingly.

The CRC is how the Retron 5 identifies and matches the game you have so that's going to be where your solution lies. I'll be honest though as far as Metroid I'm not sure, there's only 1 US version to my knowledge so unless you have a bootleg, a version that I'm not aware that exists or Hyperkin just fucked up and put a bad dump CRC in their database i'm not sure.

Mephestopheles

Post by Mephestopheles » September 11th, 2017, 10:36 pm

I'll try that when I get roms loaded on a SD Card, right now it's physical Rom Carts I'm using that causing issues with the Cheats.

Mephestopheles

Post by Mephestopheles » September 21st, 2017, 11:35 am

I solved the issue by purchasing a different game cart and the new one worked, I am wondering though when you use a rom file can you get the cheats to work? it seems like it only allows you to use the game that's inserted only?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » September 24th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Correct. The Retron 5 will pull up the cheat database based on the cartridge that's inserted...NOT what you're patching to. There's a way around that but its a pain in the ass. I've explained in a couple of times in other threads as well as a reddit thread about this that i'll link below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/retron5/commen ... th_cheats/

Like i wrote in that thread there's a way around in but there's hoops to jump through and it's not fun so you may decide it's not really worth the the trouble but it'll accomplish the goal you want ultimately.

Mephestopheles

Post by Mephestopheles » September 27th, 2017, 8:05 pm

I just bought the Retro Freak Premium Edition, from what I understand you can use the cheats with the SD card so that's why I bought it. hopefully it will be easy to use. on a side note I was able to edit the cheat XML file for a few games but it was a pain in the ass. I only replaced an existing code and didn't add a new one because I wasn't sure if it would work.