Custom Cartridge Top Labels (Super Famicom, SMS, N64, etc.)

Post whatever you want here. Just don't make fun of Chris Galliano or we might get sued.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
MrMan2k7

Custom Cartridge Top Labels (Super Famicom, SMS, N64, etc.)

Post by MrMan2k7 » October 1st, 2014, 12:20 pm

So with the recent addition of IPS patching to the Retron5, my collection of Super Famicom carts has shot up to nearly 30 carts. Trying to keep these carts organized has been a bit of a hassle because you cannot stack/arrange the carts in any way the shows the game's title.

My solution: labels to put on the cartridge tops. Now I can nicely arrange my carts in a drawer without having to pull them up one at a time to see their titles. These labels fit right between the two little grooves on the top of the Super Famicom cart. A good portion of these were simple cut and paste jobs, but some of them required a lot of touching up in PhotoShop to get right.

This image is a thumbnail. Click the image for a high-quality PNG file, which is meant to be printed on 8.5"x11" label paper at 100% scale (300dpi).

I've done something similar with my Nintendo 64 cartridges (inspired by this Reddit thread), and plan to also put something together for Master System carts. The Nintendo 64 labels are on another computer, but I'll try to link to it when I get a chance.

Has anyone done anything similar to keep their cartridges better organized? Feel free to print out my labels and use them yourself!
Last edited by MrMan2k7 on October 3rd, 2014, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

dashv
Site Moderator

Re: Custom Cartridge Top Labels (Super Famicom, N64, etc.)

Post by dashv » October 1st, 2014, 12:46 pm

Thanks! Something like this for N64 carts would be awesome!

Failrunner

Post by Failrunner » October 1st, 2014, 10:39 pm

I've been buying universal game cases and printing artwork for them. I got ten more on the way.

MrMan2k7

Post by MrMan2k7 » October 2nd, 2014, 2:15 pm

Failrunner wrote:I've been buying universal game cases and printing artwork for them. I got ten more on the way.
That's awesome! I wish I could do that same for my collection, but unfortunately I don't have the space for those cases. Recently I've been taking all my games OUT of cases to fit them in a tighter space.

Also, I finished up my Sega Master System labels. Even though SMS carts have a label that partially covers the cart top, it doesn't have any text on top. These labels cover the other part of the cartridge top without a label.

This image is a thumbnail. Click the image for a high-quality PNG file, which is meant to be printed on 8.5"x11" label paper (landscape) at 100% scale (300dpi).

Here is a link to the PhotoShop file if you want to edit this to put in your own titles. You'll need the MonoTypeModern-Extended font.

MrMan2k7

Post by MrMan2k7 » October 3rd, 2014, 10:07 am

Here are the N64 labels I put together:
This image is a thumbnail. Click the image for a high-quality PNG file, which is meant to be printed on 8.5"x11" label paper (portrait) at 100% scale.

These are based on the label designs of four_giants on Reddit. I printed out some of his and made these to fill in the carts he was missing. Here are links to his labels: Page 1 and Page 2.

Here's what they look like on the carts:

And Super Famicom labels on the carts:
The unlabelled cart is Parodius Da! which I apparently forgot to make a label for.

And last, but not least, Master Systems labels on the carts:
They printed out a bit lighter than I expected, but they do the job.