Has anyone tried a 3rd party controller dongle?

Ask and assist the community with Retron 5.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
napalm

Has anyone tried a 3rd party controller dongle?

Post by napalm » January 8th, 2017, 11:03 pm

Since I find the Hyperkin bluetooth wireless controller just terrible, I am searching for a wireless alternative.
I have seen several dongles available that plug into snes ports and work with wireless PS3 controllers.
Has anyone ever tried one of these with PS3 controllers on the Retron5 and if so does it work well?

Regards.

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Has anyone tried a 3rd party controller dongle?

Post by R9delta » January 9th, 2017, 12:39 pm

8bitdo's stuff works fantastic on the Retron 5 and there's 2 ways you could go with it. You could either purchase their SNES bluetooth dongle and have a choice of using a PS3, PS4, Wii/+Classic Controller, Wii U Pro Controller, or any of 8bitdo's controllers...or purchase just an 8bitdo controller which has the ability to sync with the Retron 5 natively on it's own.

Also for the bluetooth adapter if using specifically a PS3 controller is a must be aware that you will have to sync the PS3 controller to the 8bitdo snes bluetooth adapter using a PC first (basically entails plugging the adapter into a PC using the included usb cable and then using 8bitdo's software to sync them). PS3 controller doesn't have a built-in way to sync on it's own unlike the PS4 and other controllers. Apart from that PS3 controllers work great with the adapter.