Issues with ROM formats?

Ask and assist the community with Retro Freak.
Forum rules
Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
wesk74@gmail.com

Issues with ROM formats?

Post by wesk74@gmail.com » May 26th, 2016, 2:50 pm

I just got my Retro Freak and am having a problem with a few systems namely Famicom/NES and Super Famicom/NES. I have gotten all the other supported systems to work fine from SD ROMS. What file types does it prefer if anybody knows?

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Issues with ROM formats?

Post by R9delta » May 26th, 2016, 6:53 pm

.sfc for SNES/SFC games and .nes for NES/FC games. It doesn't matter if the roms you're using originally was dumped/converted to those formats, it just needs to extension renamed to those and they should work.

xain09

Post by xain09 » October 12th, 2016, 8:20 am

Question:

I'm running the latest firmware 2.2.
It seems it won't see .sms games.

Gamgear : .gg = OK
SG-1000 : .sg = OK
Mastersystem : .sms?

When I rename them to .sg they sometimes seem to work. Not sure if it was actually a SMS or SG-1000 game maybe?

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » October 14th, 2016, 11:27 pm

xain09 wrote:Question:

I'm running the latest firmware 2.2.
It seems it won't see .sms games.

Gamgear : .gg = OK
SG-1000 : .sg = OK
Mastersystem : .sms?

When I rename them to .sg they sometimes seem to work. Not sure if it was actually a SMS or SG-1000 game maybe?
Should be .sms, but try the generic .bin if you're having trouble. .bin can be Genesis or SMS. I've never had success getting .rom file types to play (outside of disksys.rom), but I've heard that's a generic one too.

xain09

Post by xain09 » October 15th, 2016, 5:12 am

Thanks. Now it works. .sms and they show up as Mark III titles and work :)
MegaDrive/Genesis roms are bit harder to get to work it seems. Some .bin files contain multiple rom files and the GameFreak doesn't seem to like them.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » October 15th, 2016, 6:47 pm

If you're talking about zip files containing multiple rom versions, I always just pick the "normal" one, as in the one that doesn';t have any of those letters/etc. Genesis/MD file types are usually .md, not .gen on the Retro Freak, but .bin also recognizes. I don't know what you mean by .bin files containing multiple files unless you mean the zip files

xain09

Post by xain09 » October 17th, 2016, 6:05 am

The normal version seems to work. I had a couple .bin files which when decompressed contained multiple .bin files again. Anyway. 1 rom 1 .bin file. Thanx. All working fine.