Patch request: Roll-Chan 3 Improvement patch

Post or link to the best rom hacks here. Completed projects are preferred because let's be honest, folks can go elsewhere for the rest. Be sure to cite to original author(s).
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
DeathByBFG

Patch request: Roll-Chan 3 Improvement patch

Post by DeathByBFG » April 10th, 2016, 11:28 am

I was wondering if anyone is able to make a patch for the ROM hack at the link below:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2799/

What threw me off was that it has a dependency patch (also linked in that hack above) so I'm not sure the best way to go about it. Is any available to assist?

DeathByBFG

Re: Patch request: Roll-Chan 3 Improvement patch

Post by DeathByBFG » April 10th, 2016, 11:42 am

After I submitted this I had an idea but it failed. First I applied the MM3 Improvement patch using Lunar. Then I tried to apply the Roll-Chan 3 Improvement using Beat to THAT patched ROM and it just failed. Sorry. :-(

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » April 10th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Got it working for you, you can find it (all variations) and just the improvement patch fixed up in this folder:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/f315fb ... /Rom_Hacks

You were on the right track, i'm actually not sure why it failed for you but the general process I took was:

-Have a good verified dump of the Megaman 3 rom set aside. Make a copy of it and designate it as a pre-patched version. Have the other one i'm going to work with for patches and the end result
-Patch the MM3 improvement hack on to the copy of MM3 that i'm working with using Lunar IPS. Test it in an NES emulator
-If successful patch the Rollchan 3 hack on top of that using a BPS patcher like beats. Test Again
-If that was successful use Lunar IPS to write a patch between the original copy of MM3 that I set aside and the full result rom I was working with

I had to rinse and repeat this for each variation (Japanese rom, MM8 version of Rollchan, etc..) but if you were only interested in one particular version of course this wouldn't be necessary for you.

DeathByBFG

Post by DeathByBFG » April 10th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Nice! I wonder if it was something with my ROM. Anyways I tried it on the Retron and it worked great. Thank you!

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » April 10th, 2016, 6:35 pm

If you do a lot of patch making I would recommend downloading a full confirmed goodset for the system you're interested in. Google "emuparadise fullset", they'll come in handy as you'll then have mostly every confirmed rom to work with.