Cheats/FDS games not working?

Ask and assist the community with Retro Freak.
Forum rules
Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Cheats/FDS games not working?

Post by R9delta » February 1st, 2016, 11:25 pm

Correct. As long as the bios is in the proper folder you just load the FDS game like you would any other Famicom/NES game and it should work...well should being the key word. Also yeah the DISKSYS.ROM file doesn't show up in the Retro Freak's file manager for me either but it still works for me despite that and I know it's physically there.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 1st, 2016, 11:51 pm

So this is kinda a last ditch effort since the BIOS thing isn't working.

Would importing a physical FDS and plugging it into the Famicom Expansion port work?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 2nd, 2016, 12:45 am

Your have more balls than I do to go that far, but I'm sure it'd be nice to have for collectors sake. Personally i think unless the Retro Freak will dump the bios off a physical FDS drive (which I'd be surprised if it does) I'd be surprised if it'd work any better for you. I'd probably see if you can find a way to contact Cybergadget first. I'd imagine they'd have at least a few English speakers working there.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 2nd, 2016, 8:26 pm

It prompts me to do so (dump the BIOS off an actual FDS) when I try to play a game, which leads me to believe that it might work if I'm doing something wrong. I mean, it shouldn't be possible for FDS games to work on one Retro Freak and not another, unless it's personalized like you said. Dumping them off of an actual FDS should be more universal and likely to work in that case, since I'd probably need to mess with the files in some way. You said that the other RF emulators (32X, Sega CD, N64) are personally modified for each Retro Freak, right? I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same way

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 2nd, 2016, 8:45 pm

Well I contacted Cyber Gadget, so we'll see if I get an English reply what they say.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 2nd, 2016, 10:35 pm

Well the firmware being "custom" to each Retro Freak was kind of a different issue and related to why people like Retron Labo on youtube hadn't released a hacked firmware out to the public so we can run whatever emulators we like...not really related to the FDS issue you're having. Also saying the firmware is custom was kinda oversimplifying it. It's that to do a firmware update you have to write a firmware update request to your SD card that's specific to your Retron 5 or Retro Freak and submit it on their website to download the firmware, therefore making the firmware specific to your Retron 5 or Retro Freak....making it a problem why a generic hack hadn't been released.

As far as the FDS problem you're having, yeah I don't understand it either. You're doing everything right that i've seen so far so I don't get why it's working for me but not you. There's nothing unique that would explain it.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 3rd, 2016, 1:26 am

I wonder if somehow the problem lies in the SD card itself. It's 64GB, so it may be a little big. Later I might try to put in a blank one and load those files. I don't think that this is very plausible (as games load) but it's worth a try, I suppose.

I received a response from CG that basically said that they don't endorse ROMs and stuff...but then they said that FDS games may not be supported? That struck me as very odd, since you have them running, and they do read for me in the games folder. Maybe since it's there's not an actual slot for it, they're not advertising it since it has to do with ROMs? I don't know. I asked for some clarification, cause that left me with more questions than answers.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 3rd, 2016, 1:59 am

It might be worth trying a smaller card. The Retro Freak may not play well with SDXC (64gb and up). I'm using an 8gb and on occasion a 4gb and they both work fine. 32gb or lower (SDHC) might be worth trying.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 4th, 2016, 8:28 pm

I ordered an 8GB yesterday, should be here tomorrow to test it.

Also I updated the Retro Freak with the new update (It has an actual tab for SMK3/SG1K/GG whereas before they were grouped in the MD section), and tried he stock Retro Freak controller instead of Gen controller for the hell of it, I am still unable to play FDS games. Not sure what I'll do if this 8GB card doesn't work...

I also can't help but wonder...You said the system doesn't like SDXC cards...I wonder if that's why it always takes forever for the SD card option to even come up when I boot the system, or is that normal?

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 5th, 2016, 8:48 pm

So I finally got it to work after my 8GB card not working...turns out I had to have it as "disksys.rom", lower case. I actually tried my 64GB card after I got it to work, and it works there too. I suppose that it may not have that many problems with SDXC cards after all.

Also, side note, as for asking why it took so long to read the card, seems that was fixed in yesterday's update.