Cheats/FDS games not working?

Ask and assist the community with Retro Freak.
Forum rules
Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Lilith
לילית

Cheats/FDS games not working?

Post by Lilith » February 1st, 2016, 1:06 am

Hmmm...I downloaded the cheats file from the Retro Freak website, followed the instructions, but it says the cheat databases aren't on the SD card. I get the same problem when trying to run FDS games, even though I have the BIOs in the correct spot. Does anyone know of a solution or am I just doing something wrong?

Also, is it possible to just rename the Retron 5 XML files so that the cheats come up in English? Or has that changed (the codes being in Japanese)?

Do I need to rename the FDS BIOS to DISKSYS.ROM for it to realize it's the BIOS?

Edit-I got the cheat working, I guess I needed to have the folder capitalized instead of lowercase? Odd.

Also I ran the FDS BIOS, it says Error 2 on it, I assume that's bad and the file I got is messed up? DISKSYS.ROM came up under Megadrive, and that didn't run.

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Cheats/FDS games not working?

Post by R9delta » February 1st, 2016, 7:10 pm

I managed to get FDS games working..posted from another thread:
R9delta wrote:Also thanks for what you posted Marcone. I actually managed to get FDS games working on the Retro Freak which is amazing. Directions were pretty simple. Just put the FDS bios (DISKSYS.ROM) in SD:\Retrofreak\BIOS\ and then the actual roms will go where you usually put them (SD:\Retrofreak\Games\ in my case, although i've got so many on there i'm gonna see if i can separate them by system under that and see if they'll still load fine). Was playing some 3D Hot Rally and it played great. Just had to look in the controller hotkey options and find out how to change the disk side.
And yeah make sure you rename the FDS to the proper name it wants and put it where the Retro Freak needs it, extension and all

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 1st, 2016, 7:52 pm

Seems to still not work. I tried renaming the BIOS the DISKSYS.ROM, but it still doesn't work. I have another copy of the FDS BIOs that's DISKSYS.ROM.BIN...do I just want to name the actual file just "DISKSYS"? Sorry if I'm being dense, but I've tried everything I can think of.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 1st, 2016, 8:07 pm

I've set up a zip file with the layout and bios inside that's needed for Famicom Disk System games to work, included is a copy of Famicom Grand Prix II - Hot Rally for the FDS to try as well. Just download this:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4lffw ... +Setup.zip

Extract everything as-is to your MicroSD card. Please let me know as soon as you download it as I can't keep this on Mediafire for what I hope are obvious reasons :)

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 1st, 2016, 8:54 pm

Still not working. I tried removing all the Retro Freak folder contents and moving them somewhere else, deleting the BIOS folder and pasting in the ZIP file contents. I feel like I've been doing everything right, but it just doesn't want to work.
Attachments
Retro Freak BIOs.PNG

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 1st, 2016, 8:58 pm

Honestly I don't know then, that zip/layout was made from my personal currently working configuration.

Only other advice I can offer is make sure you're on firmware 1.4

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 1st, 2016, 9:14 pm

Everything looks okay. I'm on 1.4. Only thing that's different is I'm using the Genesis controller via adapter rather than USB stock controller.

http://i.imgur.com/D27Zi4K.jpg

Attachment is over 2MB

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 1st, 2016, 9:32 pm

Hmmm...Alright, now that i'm home from work i'm gonna double check that maybe the bios file i didn't give you was bad and that it was truly the same I downloaded for the initial set up (pretty sure this is the case but doesn't hurt to check). Maybe i'll have an answer for you, but yeah right now i'm kinda scratching my head i'll be honest.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 1st, 2016, 9:43 pm

So i took a blank microsd card, took my zip file i linked you earlier, and extracted it just like needed and everything works without a hitch on my Retro Freak, same firmware version and all. I'm not sure honestly man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1H4A_tdVc

For clarification since I can't aim a cell phone properly FDS roms get thrown in the FC (Famicom) section. I'm using the Retro Freak controller simply because it's better for hotkeys I need (like switch the disk side on FDS games) but I don't see why using the Genesis controller with an adapter would cause issues. It couldn't be that. Honestly you're doing everything right from what you've described before.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 1st, 2016, 9:57 pm

I don't have to physically start the BIOS file in the Retro Freak, just have it on my SD card, right? It also seems like it's not seeing anything in the BIOS folder. At least, when I go into file manager.