N64/Sega CD/32X/TGCD/PCE CD/FDS compatiblity

Discussing modding and hacking your Retro Freak.
Forum rules
Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Lilith
לילית

N64/Sega CD/32X/TGCD/PCE CD/FDS compatiblity

Post by Lilith » January 17th, 2016, 7:08 pm

I did some researching today after trying to put Knuckles Chaotix into the Genesis slot on the Retro Freak, and it actually fit, unlike the Retron 5, but didn't read it. I realized that if I put it onto the SD card, it reads it. So I got to reading about hacking the Retro Freak...but all the videos I can find are in Japanese, so I can't understand any of it, but it definitely is possible to install emulators and the like on this, which may eliminate the need to keep some of my old systems hooked up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_IQq ... QHw/videos

I wonder if you can load up emulators on a USB device and install them to the Retro Freak?

Edit-I loaded up an FDS game on my SD card and tried to run it on the Retro Freak, and it informed me that it needed the BIOs to run it. It said that you could use an actual FDS, which I thought you could after seeing that the FC port wasn't a mere controller port. So I should be able to get different BIOs files and run the games that way!

snesdude7

Re: N64/Sega CD/32X/TGCD/PCE CD/FDS compatiblity

Post by snesdude7 » January 22nd, 2016, 5:24 pm

What file extension did your 32X games have?

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » January 23rd, 2016, 1:00 am

They're bin files, but when I tried Chaotix, it kept giving me an error like the cart was dirty, but it works in my 32X fine, so I doubt that's it. Maybe I'll try to clean it some later.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 6th, 2016, 1:24 am

I just downloaded a clean Chaotix file, and that showed up fine under the MegaDrive tab, but it won't play, a screen comes up saying I need a 32X...which...why would they bother to put that there unless they were planning on adding it? Maybe it's nothing, but I find it a bit strange.

franz

Post by franz » June 17th, 2016, 6:29 am

As I already said, there are limits in the RF firmware.
For the 32X, same as follows (related notes):
Sega CD and PC Engine CD / TurboGrafx CD are also disabled in firmware. For Sega CD Retro Freak has removed the folder "cd_hw" leaving just "cart_hw" within the "core" folder. For PCE CD / TGCD Retro Freak has removed even more from the Mednafen source including multiple folders referencing the cd capability. I wouldn't hold your breath on these systems.
Of course, if someone were to come up with an alternate firmware that re-enabled these systems they would theoretically work. You could even add other systems that use libretro cores. You'd have to break open the legit update file and insert additional instructions while still maintaining your systems unique identifier to initiate the upgrade and backup that identifier for future use

lukeofsoul

Post by lukeofsoul » September 12th, 2016, 7:29 pm

Come on now... if I'm going to be a source you should at least give footnotes and properly cite it if you're going to just copy/paste me ;)
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251987 ... try3499768

1pil

Post by 1pil » October 3rd, 2016, 11:58 am

zomg....okay you guys have definitely talked me into getting a RetroFreak now. Whenever I can afford one it will be mine. Oh and I bookmarked that site Luke, thanks for that link. It'll help in the future....

xain09

Post by xain09 » October 12th, 2016, 8:07 am

Question :

Do 32x games work or not at all? If so what extension do they need? Also .bin instead of .32x?
Do Nintendo Super Famicom BS games work? They show up with the .sfc extension but do not play.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » October 12th, 2016, 2:41 pm

32x games are not compatible with the Retro Freak as the emulator it uses does not emulate them. If you mean Satellaview games Radical Dreamers and BS Zelda has worked for me (standard *.sfc is fine) but I haven't tried others beyond those.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » October 14th, 2016, 11:19 pm

I believe that I got the Ancient Stone Tablets games and BS Zelda Third and Fourth quests to load on my Retro Freak. I'm pretty sure all Satellaview games should work. I've also loaded up the BS Super Mario 2 USA game on it.

The weird thing is, Knuckles Chaotix shows up, but states you need a 32x to play it. So no, it doesn't play those.