Note to new Retro Freak owners

Post region conversions such as JPN to US here, also game to game conversions IE Star Fox to Star Fox 2.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Lilith
לילית

Re: Note to new Retro Freak owners

Post by Lilith » January 9th, 2016, 4:51 am

You can play US Genesis carts. Along with US SNES games. The reason they did that with MD and SNES and not FC>NES is because SNES>SFC and Gen>MD is very similar, while NES>FC is very differently shaped.

B Rap Boy

Post by B Rap Boy » January 9th, 2016, 7:33 pm

It does read Genesis carts in the Mega Drive slot (the slot closest to the back).

hikaricore is correct about NES games though. You need to get a NES to Famicom (72 pin to 60 pin) converter.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 9th, 2016, 7:45 pm

The only slot that needs an adapter to fit US cartridges is the Famicom slot. The Super Famicom one will fit and play SNES cartridges...the Mega Drive will fit and play Genesis...and PC Engine will fit and play TurboGrafx 16. Same for Gameboy stuff. Also until you get a Famicom to NES adapter you can still load and play NES roms through the MicroSD slot.

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » January 10th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Is the menu in English by default or something else?

If not English it'd be cool if someone posted a video walking through how to set the menu to English.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » January 11th, 2016, 1:14 am

There is an English option that reads "English" right when you boot the system up.

hulkswagon

Post by hulkswagon » January 25th, 2016, 2:24 am

I have a few questions about this thing. I actually might buy one of these puppies pretty soon.

1. How are the cartridge slots? Do I need to be extra cautious about pulling games out?
2. I heard there was an overheating problem, does this cause a lot of trouble while playing?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 25th, 2016, 10:24 am

The cartridge slots have been MUCH better than the Retron 5. I haven't really had to take caution at all with handling cartridges on it. I've heard about the overheating issues but I haven't had any at all so far. It stays nice and cool and I leave it on pretty much 24/7. That said I either play it on hardwood floor, a dresser or the mini-console slid out altogether so that likely minimizes any potential heat issues. I probably wouldn't set it down on carpet.

hulkswagon

Post by hulkswagon » January 27th, 2016, 10:57 am

Thank you for the info! Its looking more like I am purchase one sometime in the next few weeks.