Play ROMs directly off the SD card

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
shanafan

Re: Play ROMs directly off the SD card

Post by shanafan » January 21st, 2015, 11:37 pm

Looking to get homebrew Super Mario Bros. 3Mix working.

http://www.sonicepoch.com/sm3mix/

Tried both these IPS, but they do not work. Any luck with you guys?

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » January 22nd, 2015, 3:12 am

I haven't had an opportunity to test the patches, but I thought it worth mentioning that on the page you linked is a goldmine of information about the inner workings of SMB3: http://www.sonicepoch.com/sm3mix/disassembly.html O.o

shanafan

Post by shanafan » January 22nd, 2015, 8:58 am

I don't even know where to begin with that page... lol! Glad Nintendo has some pretty intelligent people developing their games :)

shanafan

Post by shanafan » January 22nd, 2015, 8:58 am

I don't even know where to begin with that page... lol! Glad Nintendo has some pretty intelligent people developing their games :)

1pil

Post by 1pil » February 21st, 2015, 2:35 pm

Been watching videos of how this person is loading roms from a "file manager" I am dying to find out how he's doing it. I believe it has to do with rooting. I wish there was an easier way, or at least an easier tutorial. Because the turorial I read is way over my head. Not to mention after it I wouldn't know what to do. Because there doesn't seem to be any information about what to load or what to have after. I saw this one thread some place people were talking about apk files, and something called "adb" and loading that....I have no idea what that is. I know what a apk file is though, it's an android install file I use those all the time with Bluestacks. But the thing of it is I wouldn't know how to use those with R5.....I was trying to make sense with it all from reading the comments they were talking about. I was like :? What even?.....

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » February 21st, 2015, 9:18 pm

If it's the one I think you're talking about that the user is using a custom firmware. Which yes it does involve rooting and it does likely involve ADB sideloading bare minimum (sideloading allows you to get apps or rather apk files to an android device that you wouldn't be able to otherwise...like the Retron). It has not been made available for the public to use besides a few testers and it may be that way for some time.

Quite frankly i'm hoping it's not too much time before it's released. Hyperkin seems to have no interest in releasing updates for the Retron 5 lately even when the newest update is essentially broken to shit regarding things like Genesis games...so something new to play around with like custom firmware would be great.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » February 22nd, 2015, 2:13 am

Imagine the possibilities. Nevermind roms, one could make bluetooth or usb add-ons to play everything from gamegear, to nintendo 64, and even ps1. Not to mention the ability to use better controllers.

1pil

Post by 1pil » February 26th, 2015, 2:56 pm

I agree totally. Especially if Hyperkin gave up on us. I want to believe they will eventually come out with newer updates of some kind. But if they don't and if this gets released first and be made more public then I'd like to work with it as well. Thanks for the replies.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 27th, 2015, 2:54 am

I'm far more excited about the prospect of adding systems over the ability to play ROMs. Ideally, I'd want a process where I could apply translation patches for disc based games like we can already do with cart based games.

KAStuff

Post by KAStuff » March 29th, 2015, 10:43 pm

I know this thread is a little old. But, I've been trying to play ROMS of SD card for NES. I tried to follow the stps provided. But, all I get is a grey screen. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe an idiots guide, step by step. I'm not a hacker, definitly not with game systems. Thanx in advance!