Play ROMs directly off the SD card

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Play ROMs directly off the SD card

Post by R9delta » January 3rd, 2015, 3:43 pm

The Retron 5 does support bps patches as of i think 2.0 beta 5 or higher

1pil

Post by 1pil » January 3rd, 2015, 5:27 pm

BPS patches do NOT work. If it did it would show up on the system when selecting a patch yes? Well it did nothing. It is invisible. So I don't know what you are talking about.

Its too bad too....I was really looking forward to having it work. It would have been amazing. Oh and I'm sorry but my system is not rooted, if that makes any difference to my reply....I have to share that I did not root the system. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. In fact Its not really my system its a family system, I don't want to go as far as rooting it or attempting to root it lol So that shouldn't have anything to do with it; But since you said bps patches work supposedly I tried it, and it was a failure. It was invisible on the system....

And I AM on 2.0 Beta. The only one there is right now actually. I didnt update to 2.2 yet. Unless you're on it? I would like to know if you guys that are doing this are on 2.2 or not...it'd be nice to know ahead of time. I don't want to do something I regret. lol Like the ps3 scene, I know when to NOT update. I'm all for custom firmware and stuff like that. So I am all for staying below board or above it when it comes to "custom" stuff.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 4th, 2015, 4:58 am

1pil wrote:BPS patches do NOT work. If it did it would show up on the system when selecting a patch yes? Well it did nothing. It is invisible. So I don't know what you are talking about.

Its too bad too....I was really looking forward to having it work. It would have been amazing. Oh and I'm sorry but my system is not rooted, if that makes any difference to my reply....I have to share that I did not root the system. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. In fact Its not really my system its a family system, I don't want to go as far as rooting it or attempting to root it lol So that shouldn't have anything to do with it; But since you said bps patches work supposedly I tried it, and it was a failure. It was invisible on the system....

And I AM on 2.0 Beta. The only one there is right now actually. I didnt update to 2.2 yet. Unless you're on it? I would like to know if you guys that are doing this are on 2.2 or not...it'd be nice to know ahead of time. I don't want to do something I regret. lol Like the ps3 scene, I know when to NOT update. I'm all for custom firmware and stuff like that. So I am all for staying below board or above it when it comes to "custom" stuff.
Yeah, sorry. My memory fails me, it's actually the UPS format that was added, not BPS. That said, you being pretty much rude as fuck to the people like myself that are at least attempting to point you in the right direction is really not needed and if rooting were coming into play here (which i'm not really sure why you would assume that) I would mention it up front. Patching roms into other roms has nothing to do with root anyway and is more about taking advantage of the feature that hyperkin already added themselves.

Anyway that's my piece here and from here on out i'm sure you can sort it out yourself. I'm done with this thread.

1pil

Post by 1pil » January 4th, 2015, 2:26 pm

wow okay sorry I snapped. But geez....okay thanks for that.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » January 4th, 2015, 11:53 pm

Please try not to be rude to others around here, especially founding members who have offered a lot of their free time and resources to helping build this community. Thank you.

shanafan

Post by shanafan » January 21st, 2015, 9:54 am

R9delta wrote:I haven't tried it myself yet but this should be of some serious interest to people that are interested in playing roms but don't like the method of having to write a patch for a specific cartridge and that cartridge only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zSivt5pJ4k

The program in this video will take a rom (or multiple roms) and create a patch to play it that you can apply to ANY cartridge as long as it's for the same system. It works by creating a blank rom (meaning all the data from the rom you want to play will be written to the patch and not just the changes between one game and another) before making the patch ensuring that it will work with anything. Pretty damn awesome of whoever made this tool.

Here's the link for the program that's also contained in the video as well:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kwfhz ... atorv2.zip

EDIT: Seems like some SNES roms might have some issues with this. I've tested a handful and some require to have the "expects header" setting on and some are expected to be turned off. I looked into this and most of the roms I used with this IPS creator do have a header as is, and even with all the ones that had headers there were some that worked with one option but not the other so im not seeing the connection on whats causing this. I've had a few that won't work at all even. I would imagine this tool would work better for NES and Genesis roms though.
How does saving work? Does the save state for the game only register for Toe Jam and Earl (the cart in the video), or can it work per rom?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 21st, 2015, 10:32 am

shanafan wrote:How does saving work? Does the save state for the game only register for Toe Jam and Earl (the cart in the video), or can it work per rom?
Normally yes, any patch/rom you've loaded will overwrite the save for whatever cartridge you've got in there. You can however enable the option to use separate saves for patches under game specific settings (same place as where you load the patch).

shanafan

Post by shanafan » January 21st, 2015, 10:48 am

Ok thanks. I believe there are maybe like 10 separate save slots for each game. I remember always seeing the 0 when I do the 'normal' save

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 21st, 2015, 12:58 pm

Right, and using just the 10 save states for different patches without the "use separate saves" option turned on can work as well but it can be easy to accidentally overwrite your data if you take that approach

shanafan

Post by shanafan » January 21st, 2015, 3:07 pm

Ok great! Thanks for the heads up ;)