[ROM][0.3.1] Pre-rooted Stock-Rom with ADB enabled

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
pceslayer

Re: [ROM][0.3.1] Pre-rooted Stock-Rom with ADB enabled

Post by pceslayer » September 21st, 2018, 5:19 pm

I am using the same ADB client you linked in your post.

Maybe I'll have better luck with a different version.

pceslayer

Post by pceslayer » September 22nd, 2018, 12:59 am

Switched over to using my laptop with a different version of the ADB client and everything seems to be working now.

Thanks for this! I can now order the Hyperkin 3-in-1 Sega adapter and dump Game Gear games! :D :D

If anyone is interested I wrote a powershell script to pull roms off the Retron 5 and automatically rename them based on NoIntro data. It even has some code to trim the 16 byte headers off NES roms so it can get a proper match.

Maybe I'll post it...

ManCloud

Post by ManCloud » September 22nd, 2018, 3:02 am

pceslayer wrote:Switched over to using my laptop with a different version of the ADB client and everything seems to be working now.

Thanks for this! I can now order the Hyperkin 3-in-1 Sega adapter and dump Game Gear games! :D :D

If anyone is interested I wrote a powershell script to pull roms off the Retron 5 and automatically rename them based on NoIntro data. It even has some code to trim the 16 byte headers off NES roms so it can get a proper match.

Maybe I'll post it...
You`re welcome ^^

Cyclone_Storm

Post by Cyclone_Storm » September 23rd, 2018, 6:17 pm

I'm curious, if we flash it with this rom can we then adb push RetroArch.apk to the Retron5? That would be really nice!

justinadams

Post by justinadams » September 24th, 2018, 12:08 am

Cyclone_Storm wrote:I'm curious, if we flash it with this rom can we then adb push RetroArch.apk to the Retron5? That would be really nice!
It does appear that you can install RetroArch in this manner, though it does not currently appear to usable. i had to use an adb shell command to launch it once it was installed(you could probably install a replacement launcher and not need to do this). after that, it did open up to some initial setup stuff (i know basically nothing about retroarch), but wouldn't respond, only giving one brief message at the bottom of the screen in yellow saying something like gamepad not configured.

also on another note, i no longer seem to be able to power the retron 5 down. i've tried in the menu, power button, and adb to no avail. Even pulling (and reinserting) the power cord would did nothing.

Also a big THANK YOU to ManCloud for posting this. this is really cool and i think we can probably do some really awesome stuff with it.

Cyclone_Storm

Post by Cyclone_Storm » September 24th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Nice!!! really nice! Thanks for the extended answer! I was curious about that to. Because you cannot just simply launch the app because the hole interface of Retron is running everything. Including power off and on so that could be a problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXx6VRBBl8Y&t=245s If you look in this video it just suddenly start, or he made patch file that auto loads the RetroArch apk. I'm gonna look in to it. Thanks again though and let me know if it work again with power on, off and reset.

justinadams

Post by justinadams » September 24th, 2018, 9:14 pm

An update to my previous post, the power issue only happens when connected to the pc. once you disconnect it from the PC, the retron will shutdown just fine(i honestly feel dumb for not think of that sooner)

justinadams

Post by justinadams » September 25th, 2018, 12:13 am

more updates. you can launch the built in android setting app using adb. and you can even access bluetooth settings and pair devices with it, such as a nintendo switch pro controller, but that doesn't appear to be usable.
I also tried installing a few different launchers, but i couldn't get any of them to launch.

Cyclone_Storm

Post by Cyclone_Storm » September 25th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Oooh nice! That good news the we at least know there aren't any power issues. I was thinking that it's maybe possible to alter the apk that starts. To add a button there. I'm gonna read if thats possible. Then I'll see if I can dumb the file and make some changes. Thanks again!

pceslayer

Post by pceslayer » September 26th, 2018, 11:38 am

Was curious so I downloaded the 2.5 retron-update.bin and updated over your rom and I still have root and ADB. :D :D

Now I can use the 3 in 1 hyperkin adapter to dump Game Gear. :D