Loading from Cart vs SD Card

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
SuperKlyph

Loading from Cart vs SD Card

Post by SuperKlyph » July 30th, 2017, 10:47 am

Is there an input lag or framerate difference if I load from the SD card vs loading it from the actual cart?

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Loading from Cart vs SD Card

Post by R9delta » July 31st, 2017, 12:23 pm

No, the Retron 5 (and Retro Freak) load the rom to RAM to be played the same way whether it be from a cartridge or a rom file or a patch. Performance does not change in any manner.

SuperKlyph

Post by SuperKlyph » August 2nd, 2017, 12:39 pm

Thanks for the knowledge. Is the input lag on the Retro Freak any better than the Retron 5?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » August 2nd, 2017, 3:10 pm

I can only give a personal anecdote but I find the Retro Freak has less input lag than the Retron 5 unless filters are being used on Genesis/Mega Drive games for some odd reason. If filters are not being used (outside of scanlines) then Genesis is fine and has less as well.

Generally the thing that I notice most is that I had a big issue with input lag on SNES/Super Famicom on the Retron 5 and that issue was mostly solved for me moving to the Retro Freak.

SuperKlyph

Post by SuperKlyph » August 4th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I found that the input lag is even pretty bad on NES. I played my old NES right after playing the Retron and it was unbelievable. I have buyer's remorse now.