Rewind function

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
RyogAkari

Rewind function

Post by RyogAkari » March 23rd, 2016, 12:07 am

Hey guys!

Just bought my retron 5 and love it to pieces. One thing I was thinking about though. Back in the day when I played NES games on my R4 on my Nintendo DS it had a really cool function where you could rewind the previous 30 seconds of game play. It made games like Mega Man a lot easier!

Do you think there would be any way this functionality could be incorporated into the Retron?

Thanks!

Lilith
לילית

Re: Rewind function

Post by Lilith » March 23rd, 2016, 12:25 am

Rare Replay on Xbox One has this exact feature, which may possibly interest you. Only for the arcade games, not the modern ones.

1pil

Post by 1pil » March 23rd, 2016, 11:13 am

I got a DS with R4 with Wood firmware that I still use. I don't recall any sort of "rewind" button in it. And if anything....a speed button would be better. But Retron already has a speed button. And rewind? That is what Loading a save state is for, I can save state and load it the same way as rewinding.....this concept of rewinding gameplay makes absolutely no sense when there is save states and loading of them. Which we can do in a blink of an eye....

RyogAkari

Post by RyogAkari » March 23rd, 2016, 1:30 pm

I'd have to disagree. It gives the game a nice flow to be able to rewind a couple seconds in the past as you are playing along. If you don't Dodge a shot just right in mega man or if an enemy catches you by surprise in kid Icarus just back it up and do something different. Having to save states all the time then go into the menu to back up isn't as fluid.

I know ZSNES and Nestopia have these capabilities. I guess I'd need to contact hyperkin itself if it's too much of a mod to do on the system.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » March 23rd, 2016, 1:41 pm

1pil wrote:...this concept of rewinding gameplay makes absolutely no sense when there is save states and loading of them. Which we can do in a blink of an eye....
Save States, while similar, does not necessarily make rewinding obsolete. Yeah there are hot keys you can set for quick loading and saving but if you forget to hit save state in the first place or didn't think it necessary (or really just don't feel like hitting save state every 2 seconds in a game) then that doesn't exactly help where rewinding requires no initial input from the user as it's always recording in the background.

I don't care about the feature personally but it's not the same really and the usefulness for it is pretty clear for anyone that does care. That said I wouldn't count on Hyperkin adding the feature in anytime soon as they seem like they've dropped damn near all support for the Retron 5.