Cheat compatibility?

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
link2past

Cheat compatibility?

Post by link2past » December 28th, 2015, 7:12 pm

If I were to use a patch on the NES cart of Castlevania III that has me playing the famicom version instead, would the cheats from the standard database still work properly in the game? As in the NES cheats working in the famicom version that's patching onto it?

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Cheat compatibility?

Post by R9delta » December 28th, 2015, 7:39 pm

it depends on the game and how much was changed during localization but in a lot of cases, no, it won't work. Hard to know for sure in this specific case until you try it though but I would say it's a safe bet that it's unlikely.

link2past

Post by link2past » December 28th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Thanks.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a chance I would be able to edit the nes cheats xml file so that the cheats for Akumajou Densetsu show up with Castlevania III in the system and thus would run when I run the patch?

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » December 28th, 2015, 8:00 pm

Yeah it's possibly actually, I did that myself for Mother 2/Earthbound. It's kind of hard to explain step by step (or rather I'm on my phone and don't have time) but the basic process is that you'll delete the codes for castlevania 3 and copy and paste the Japanese version's in their place leaving the CRC identification from CV3 alone.

link2past

Post by link2past » January 8th, 2016, 1:11 am

Got it to work once I finally got my game to work! Kept the CVIII cheats there and the Akumajou Densetsu cheats just appear at the top of the list as the first 6 or so. Wish there were a few more available for that version but its got the basics.

Djtwok

Post by Djtwok » August 4th, 2016, 9:39 am

I'd love to see a possibility to add own codes. Most of my pal snes games show "no cheats available".