Retron5 pad not working

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
propiro

Retron5 pad not working

Post by propiro » December 14th, 2015, 7:36 am

Hello there, fresh retron5 user here.
I'm at point of begging for help - my retron5 unit worked perfectly fine for 1.5 month, untily yesterday, when gamepad stopped working mid-game of castlevania on GBA.
It was charged at 75%, there is no response for buttons (nor retron detects the controller, nor the controller flashes buttons when i press anything) - however, if i press the button under that tiny hole on the back, it flashes all 4 leds two times. So its not 'completely' dead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i am willing to donate some cash through paypal to fix this issue fast, if thats a thing.

Best regards,,
A.

Matthias

Re: Retron5 pad not working

Post by Matthias » March 27th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Have the same problem
Is there any solution?

ManCloud

Re: Retron5 pad not working

Post by ManCloud » September 16th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Hey there,

the RetroN 5 Wireless-Controller is s***... not very good!
Is uses "Mouse-Switches" (this kind) of poor quality which weardown pretty fast and loose contact.
It sounds like they're switching properly... but they dont!

You do well not using this controller...
Get a bluetooth controller from 8BitDo or ise a wired controller instead!

That's what everyone would tell you... BUT:

if you insist and you're good at soldering:
  • Get some tactile-switches (this kind) with at least 0.3in / 76.2 mm height (either 2-legged or 4-legged type will do)
  • open up the controller (you should only need a phillips-screwdriver)
  • desolder every single "Mouse-Switch"
  • replace them with the tacticle-switches (place them diagonally if they're the 4-leg kind)
  • trimm the button-head to size (0.3in / 76.2 mm | measured from PCB to TOP)
  • TEST IT! (push the PCB inside the case and "hear" if the buttons are working properly)
  • reassemble everything
  • be happy ^^
Note: You might need some force to apply the "cap" of the directional buttons if you used the 4-leg kind of tacticle-switches. Thats okay... just ensure, that everything sits tight or else the directional buttuns will be too loose.