Genesis / Megadrive: Force 3 Button Controller

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Pat86

Genesis / Megadrive: Force 3 Button Controller

Post by Pat86 » October 12th, 2015, 4:46 pm

Hello there,

does the Retron 5 emulate the regular 3 Button Controller as 6 Button Controller? I tried to play Samurai Shodown and Judge Dredd and both don't work as they should with an 3 Button Pad. Is there an option somewhere to force 3 button controller emulation?

Lilith
לילית

Re: Genesis / Megadrive: Force 3 Button Controller

Post by Lilith » October 12th, 2015, 11:54 pm

I always use a 3 button when I play Genesis games like Sonic 3&K...However, I don't think I've played anything that utilizes the 6 button format.

Pat86

Post by Pat86 » October 14th, 2015, 9:48 am

Try the ones i mentioned above. Both have 6 Button Controller support and they are emulated as if a 6 Button Pad is connected, so some necessary control mechanics cant be done.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » October 16th, 2015, 6:25 pm

I don't think there is a setting on the Retron 5 to change that but yes I can verify it does emulate any genesis controller you plug in as a 6 button controller...actual physical number of buttons aside. The only thing I can recommend trying is maybe holding the - / select button on the Retron 5 controller while booting up a genesis game since that's mapped to the corresponding mode button (changes between 3 button and 6 button operation on a real genesis when powering on console). Then trying using the genesis controller as that. I'm not sure if that would solve the problem since i'm not even sure the R5 even emulates that "feature" but you can try.