Any aftermarket wireless controllers?

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
spastic

Any aftermarket wireless controllers?

Post by spastic » September 17th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Is this even possible? I hate the joystick on the wireless controller, wondering if there are any aftermark SNES controller clones, or anything else really.

JDavis

Re: Any aftermarket wireless controllers?

Post by JDavis » September 17th, 2014, 8:56 pm

I know Retro-bit makes a wireless SNES controller, but I've heard some people have had trouble getting them to work on the Retron 5 (and from what I've seen in reviews, a lot of people had trouble getting them to work on actual SNES hardware, too). I actually use the wired version of Retro-bit's SNES controller, because its handles and ergonomically curved back make it much more comfortable in my hands than an OEM SNES pad.

spastic

Post by spastic » September 17th, 2014, 9:03 pm

I have plenty of wired controllers, but I like laying down on my couch to play RPGs, would like some sort of comfortable wireless controller.

Failrunner

Post by Failrunner » September 17th, 2014, 9:38 pm

spastic wrote:I have plenty of wired controllers, but I like laying down on my couch to play RPGs, would like some sort of comfortable wireless controller.
Unfortunately it seems like the best bet is an extension cable. i got one for my Genesis 6 button and it works fine.

drgruney

Post by drgruney » September 18th, 2014, 2:50 pm

I think the real issue is power.

The USB based controller ports don't put out enough juice for wireless. I have fighting sticks and multitaps that fail on the Retron5 the exact same way they fail on USB PC adapters ... and yes they all work on the original hardware.

spastic

Post by spastic » September 18th, 2014, 2:53 pm

drgruney wrote:I think the real issue is power.

The USB based controller ports don't put out enough juice for wireless. I have fighting sticks and multitaps that fail on the Retron5 the exact same way they fail on USB PC adapters ... and yes they all work on the original hardware.
I think people are getting the wrong idea here. The retron5 has a wireless gaming controller, it sucks ass. I am wondering if anyone else has made an aftermarket controller that connects and functions in the same way as the retron5 controller, but is not ass.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » September 18th, 2014, 3:02 pm

If I recall Hyperkin has said in the past third party wireless controllers wouldn't be supported. Technical limitations, greed, or laziness? We may never know. Of course once someone roots this thing it's all over. I'm quite surprised thus far we've not seen anyone hack the OS. Or perhaps someone is working on it and just being quiet.. It's clearly running a variety of Android. I've even seen druid style crash dialogs when the whole thing locks up.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » September 18th, 2014, 3:11 pm

drgruney

Post by drgruney » September 18th, 2014, 4:01 pm

spastic wrote:
drgruney wrote:I think the real issue is power.

I think people are getting the wrong idea here. The retron5 has a wireless gaming controller, it sucks ass. I am wondering if anyone else has made an aftermarket controller that connects and functions in the same way as the retron5 controller, but is not ass.

I see what you're saying now.

I don't think we're going to get aftermarket support. The Retron5 controller uses Bluetooth ... but it's only compatible with Retron5 controllers.

Now I want to try and hack mine apart and give it a real d-pad.

HK Mktg
Hyperkin

Post by HK Mktg » September 19th, 2014, 1:24 am

We make a lot of aftermarket controllers. Hyperkin has two other brands, Tomee and Cirka. Search Amazon for them. I had RMA test all of them with the RetroN 5 and there have been no issues. My personal favorate is our GN6 controller.