Any aftermarket wireless controllers?

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
hikaricore
Site Admin

Re: Any aftermarket wireless controllers?

Post by hikaricore » September 19th, 2014, 5:45 pm

HK Mktg wrote:We make a lot of aftermarket controllers. Hyperkin has two other brands, Tomee and Cirka. Search Amazon for them. I had RMA test all of them with the RetroN 5 and there have been no issues. My personal favorate is our GN6 controller.
Yes, that's all well and good, but are any of them wireless? People want an alternative to the admittedly clunky Retron5 controller without the cords.

HK Mktg
Hyperkin

Post by HK Mktg » September 22nd, 2014, 10:30 pm

Nothing is planned as far as more controllers. Honestly we don't get a lot of requests for an all new controller. Most who are not satisfied with the standard RetroN 5 controller feel fine with their retro controllers, or they just want the RetroN 5 controller with a D-pad.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » September 22nd, 2014, 10:39 pm

I'd love to sync a PS4 or Wii U Pro controller right about now. The controller that came with my console had a shaky charge port to begin with right out of the box and just today it literally fell off into the inside of the controller.

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » September 26th, 2014, 3:33 am

HK Mktg wrote:Nothing is planned as far as more controllers. Honestly we don't get a lot of requests for an all new controller. Most who are not satisfied with the standard RetroN 5 controller feel fine with their retro controllers, or they just want the RetroN 5 controller with a D-pad.
Usually I'm going up to bat for you guys but dude seriously!?

There are tons of complaints about the standard R5 controller. Nearly every reviewer has complained about it and just as many folks have asked about support for other blu tooth wireless controllers. The most common being folks asking (right on the hyperkin facebook page) for PS 3 controllers to be directly supported.

Just the other day a fan asked (on the hyperkin facebook page) if this product would be supported:

https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-nes30 ... -9.23.2014#

I echo the masses.

If we can get ips patching and turbo button support why can't we get a few more wireless control options?

Pretty please? :D

Playing 8 & 16 bit games on a 55 inch display from 6 feet away because of cord limitations can actually be quite punishing on the eyes.

username

Post by username » October 9th, 2014, 1:20 pm

Has anybody tried that controller or the ps3? hciattach is present on the system and it uses blueZ which is a pretty common bluetooth stack

maybe something like this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9993128

the controller daemon started on startup does something like:

Code: Select all

/system/xbin/hciconfig hci0 lm MASTER,ACCEPT
although it seems maybe it is looking for a hardcoded "Retron5Controller" device name so I'm not sure if the daemon will work as expected or maybe have to be disabled to allow alternate controllers

another werid bit of code in the controller daemon:

sprintf("", "$WII:%02X%02X%02X%02X%02X%02X", a12, v38, v22, v40, 0, v39);
maybe they borrowed some of this from wiimote code?

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » October 10th, 2014, 2:28 am

username wrote:Has anybody tried that controller or the ps3? hciattach is present on the system and it uses blueZ which is a pretty common bluetooth stack

maybe something like this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9993128

the controller daemon started on startup does something like:

/system/xbin/hciconfig hci0 lm MASTER,ACCEPT
although it seems maybe it is looking for a hardcoded "Retron5Controller" device name so I'm not sure if the daemon will work as expected or maybe have to be disabled to allow alternate controllers

another werid bit of code in the controller daemon:

sprintf("", "$WII:%02X%02X%02X%02X%02X%02X", a12, v38, v22, v40, 0, v39);
maybe they borrowed some of this from wiimote code?

I've tried to pair the nes30 with the Retron 5. It won't pair no matter what mode I try it in.

If I connect it via USB I can use the dpad but none of the buttons register.

That saddest thing is I got the NES30 for $30 shipped from China. It's a rock solid controller. It feels and plays (with the wii and pc) like it could take the same beating at the original NES controller it's design is inspired by.

Bonus the NES30 batteries last for 20 hours.

The Retron 5 controller 6-8 hours.

At $40 the Retron 5 wireless controller is a bad joke compared to the nes30.

username

Post by username » October 10th, 2014, 12:42 pm

dashv wrote: I've tried to pair the nes30 with the Retron 5. It won't pair no matter what mode I try it in.
are you tryng to use an .apk? or hci directly? or the stock hyperkin pairing process?

adb shell hcitool scan

shows the wiimote and a bluetooth dongle I have although I didn't really try to pair

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » October 12th, 2014, 9:31 pm

username wrote:
dashv wrote: I've tried to pair the nes30 with the Retron 5. It won't pair no matter what mode I try it in.
are you tryng to use an .apk? or hci directly? or the stock hyperkin pairing process?

adb shell hcitool scan

shows the wiimote and a bluetooth dongle I have although I didn't really try to pair
I'm using the stock pairing on an unmodified Retron 5. I like running stock while still under warrantee. :)

The nes30 controller is firmware update able so I am kinda hoping either they add support for the Retron 5 or the Retron 5 adds support for it. Even if they just added support for wii controllers it should work.

I also kinda wish Hyperkin would add support for Wii-motes so we could use them to play light gun games.

username

Post by username » October 24th, 2014, 3:51 pm

@dashv you wanna make an omlet you may have to break some warranties ;)

actually truth be told I don't know what the warranty is on r5 nor what might break it. the console is pretty roboust given that the 'maskrom' mode for flashing from rkbatchtool is pretty difficult to wreck. I flashed an image that didn't have a kernel at all on accident and was able to recover to stock without much issue.

one approach if you are not anxious to root might be to harness the factory testing script and the fact that hyperkin anticipated the controller-daemon being upgraded(none of this is tested, just an idea):

if /data/controller-daemon exists it will run that instead of /system/xbin/controller-daemon

so one could probably make use of the fact that retron tries to run as part of init.rc

exec /sbin/busybox sh /data/bootscript.sh
and the fact that /data is mounted to the sd card when the recovery magic number is right

then write a script to replace '/data/controller-daemon' by actually mounting the correct partition (ie write to /dev/block/mtdblock6 instead of sd card where /data is currently mounted in recovery)