Retrobit Genesis controllers?

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Gryfen Z

Retrobit Genesis controllers?

Post by Gryfen Z » July 22nd, 2015, 3:31 pm

Are Retrobit Genesis controllers compatible with the Retron 5? I have two of them and using them on my shiny new Retron 5 is yielding inconsistent results.

They seem to go wild, hitting random buttons and whatnot, when used but only if used on the player 1 side. They work fine on the player 2 side. That reeks of a problematic controller port, but I've been back to the store where I bought it a handful of times now and I'm on my 3rd one with the same issue on the same port. Moreover, it worked fine with a 3-button controller. I'd like to test it with a Sega brand 6-button, but I don't have one handy.

Does anyone use Retrobit's RetroGen controllers? At this point, I'm trying to determine if the store just got a bad batch or if the Retron 5 is just incompatible with the brand if controllers I have.

Gryfen Z

Re: Retrobit Genesis controllers?

Post by Gryfen Z » July 25th, 2015, 9:09 pm

I ended up solving this. A friend let me borrow a Sega brand 6-button controller and it worked perfectly. So as it turns out, the Retrobit controllers are a fine option for 2P, but for some reason they don't work well by any means in the 1P slot. That makes no sense, but that's apparently the case given the evidence.