Trying different controllers

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Sevenlives

Trying different controllers

Post by Sevenlives » June 24th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Quick question guys, does the micro USB port work to receive input from the controller or is it just to charge?
I was thinking about trying a Female USB to micro USB adapter to see what else I could plug in there.

I have a PS2 to SNES adapter and can tell you that my PS1/PS2 controllers work with the retron 5. I even tried a PS2 racing wheel with pedals and it also worked. So Im trying different things to see what works.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Re: Trying different controllers

Post by hikaricore » June 24th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Originally Hyperkin stated this port was only for charging, but as we all know they lied.

I haven't really thought to plug much more than a mouse/keyboard into that port, but I am head over heals for this wireless controller which supports the Retron 5 via a firmware update: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=228

:D

Sevenlives

Post by Sevenlives » June 25th, 2015, 8:45 am

Hey hikaricore,

How do we know they lied? Is there evidence that it does more than charging? Could ya point me to more info please? :)

LOL I actually have the NES30 Pro on it's way...I took advantage of a deal ebay had, they said they'd match whatever I'd sell on a console during the time of the deal and send me the money back. I sold my Gameboy for like 36 bucks and got me the controller for the difference...which was 2 bucks. :D So hopefully I'll remember to post back to show how it works!!

Thanks for the reply!

Mask of Destiny

Post by Mask of Destiny » June 25th, 2015, 5:45 pm

At the very least, it can definitely be used for ADB (Android Debug Bridge, a connection over USB that has the Retron acting as a USB device) when using modified firmware. The unmodified config seems to have it setup as a host only port so in theory, it should support any USB device that Android supports. I haven't been able to test that personally as the modified firmware that allows for ADB currently has the port in device-only mode instead. Presumably, the hardware supports USB OTG so it should be possible to set it up as a switch hitter with a little effort.

Sevenlives

Post by Sevenlives » June 30th, 2015, 8:51 am

So I received my NES30 Pro and USB OTG cable yesterday. I didn't have a lot of time, but I did manage to try out one thing. I plugged the USB OTG cable on the back of the console and plugged in a USB mouse.

It worked. A cursor actually showed up and I was able to navigate the menu. I'm not sure if games will work with a mouse I didn't have time to try it. But would be interesting to see. I'll be trying out keyboards, usb controllers and maybe even a usb bluetooth dongle God willing.

So my Retron now has USB ports with (if anything limited support..we'll see.) I'll also report back here once I get the NES 30 Pro up and running. :)

Sevenlives

Post by Sevenlives » October 21st, 2015, 4:33 pm

Just thought I'd leave this info on cyberspace for anyone interested.

OTG on the Retron 5 works. It works with usb gamepads. I tried using PS2 (with usb converter) and PS3 pads and both worked. I tried keyboard and mouse and that works as well.

Only problem is when the emulator starts, control goes out the window. For instance I can control the menu with a mouse and a cursor will even show up. If I start a game, no cursor. BUT, if I push the home button (or down + start) the cursor (and all other OTG support) comes back and I'm able to control the little overlay menu.

Seems to me that maybe if they added otg support as an option on the menu for the controllers button map, many usb (human interface) devices could be used theoretically. That means paddle controllers, racing wheels, flight sticks, etc. Actually enhancing the experience with many of these games.

I hope they add this.