Offbrand SNES Controller for Retron 5

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
ZForceFFC

Offbrand SNES Controller for Retron 5

Post by ZForceFFC » April 24th, 2015, 6:21 am

I know there's a bunch of "Clone" controllers for SNES but does anyone know of, or can recommend one that plays nicely with the Retron 5? My Nintendo branded one died out/broke after many years of use, and I'm weighing my options vs buying a used Nintendo branded one that's going to also be quite old, or buying a new clone type controller. I also have an asciipad which worked great when I first got the R5, but after a while started going haywire, which is why I'm a little leery of going 3rd party as opposed to buying a used official one.

1pil

Re: Offbrand SNES Controller for Retron 5

Post by 1pil » April 27th, 2015, 1:30 pm

I'm using one I found on amazon, its third party....oh wait...it may have been ebay. I found like a deal that allowed me to get two....they are very cheaply made though....so I wouldn't recommend the ones I got lol.....Im afraid of it breaking at any point. I mean so far its okay but I don't know.....its like a roll of a dice buying those cheap ones that are third party....99% of the time they're made in china which in it self is bad but the way they are put together is also bad. So, there is really no way of knowing if they will last or not.....until you get it and use it and hope it lasts pretty much. Sorry. Good luck on your search.

maggerbee

Post by maggerbee » December 18th, 2015, 11:40 pm

I am super happy with this one from Amazon.com
Cirka S91 Classic Retro Controller for SNES Super Nintendo
Good quality, feels 99% like a real one.

TheLastKamikaze

Post by TheLastKamikaze » February 21st, 2016, 1:45 am

I too can recommend the Cirka S91 (though I got the one with the Famicon coloured buttons...)... it's almost as good as the originals but it's 100% new and will last a long time... very good controller!

1pil

Post by 1pil » March 23rd, 2016, 11:19 am

Wow you guys are right, I think I may get that one next. And its cheap too. Looks like it's made better too. The
one I talked about before that I was using did in fact break, well sort of, it ripped out of the socket sort of, its kind of dangling by the wires now, but I'm still using it, luckily I got a second one. lol But this "Cirka S91" probably will be my next one.