Possible to downgrade?

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Lilith
לילית

Possible to downgrade?

Post by Lilith » April 1st, 2015, 12:13 am

So I want to try out the new beta firmware for the chance I can play Phantasy Star and Ys with my old saves, but I'd rather leave a safety net in case it causes more problems than it solves. Is it possible to downgrade as long as I have the firmware request thing?

hikaricore
Site Admin

Re: Possible to downgrade?

Post by hikaricore » April 1st, 2015, 12:36 am

Thus far in my experience it is possible to downgrade if you have a prior firmware version. This may or may not be the case in the future. Personally I've downloaded each and every available firmware release with my own request key and keep them archived on my SDcard for safe keeping. :) Might not be such a bad idea for everyone since we've seen Hyperkin remove old versions without warning. Just gotta keep em in separate folders due to the filename being the same.

ZForceFFC

Post by ZForceFFC » April 1st, 2015, 6:54 am

I have each of the last couple old firmwares saved on my Hard Drive with the version number in parentheses in the file name. Like for example the file name would be retron-update (2.1). All I have to do if I want to put one of the old ones on is put that file on the memory card, and edit the file name so the version number isn't there, then pop in the SD Card.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » April 26th, 2015, 2:18 am

So yep, I was on the new beta update, tried Sonic 3 & Knuckles, kept reading as S&K. Downgraded to 2.2, same thing. Downgraded to the one I know worked, 1.4, the one that fixed that issue, and that worked. So now I'm pretty familiar with downgrading stuff.