N64/Game Gear for Retron?

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Lilith
לילית

N64/Game Gear for Retron?

Post by Lilith » January 29th, 2015, 9:18 pm

I just read on a few sites that there was supposed to be an N64 Retron reveal at E3 2014, but I didn't actually watch E3, so I didn't see anything about it. Now I can't seem to find anything about that, so I'm wondering if maybe it'll be in the next Retron?

Also I'd love to see Game Gear support, I have a few Game Gear games that I have translation patches for that I'd love to be able to play on a system.

1pil

Re: N64/Game Gear for Retron?

Post by 1pil » February 1st, 2015, 12:25 pm

Actually an extension to the system would be better....something that actually plugs into it so we don't have to pay extra for an entire other system....and a n64 retron wouldnt make sense because it would basically be a re-release of N64....I don't see any point in that. If it only played n64 games and nothing else why bother? If anything I rather see a Retron that plays that, wonderswan/and Wonderswan color, game gear and maybe even disc based games...like I don't know...Saturn support? lol...or just make it a "late 90s retron" which would have disc based games, n64 and wonderswan color and game gear support, not to meantion cheat support or at the very least some sort of "swapping" support that allows use for cheat engines since their whole xml cheat thing was kind of a joke.....

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » February 1st, 2015, 2:28 pm

Unit add-ons should be possible through the USB port. Hyperkin had claimed in the beginning it was only for charging, however those who investigated found it able to use peripherals.

mzupeman

Post by mzupeman » February 1st, 2015, 4:48 pm

I don't think the patents on the N64 have expired yet, have they? I think that's all that's holding it up, unless I'm mistaken.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » February 1st, 2015, 6:10 pm

From unconfirmed reports those patent could expire as early as this year, but I didn't legit look into it.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » February 1st, 2015, 6:23 pm

Personally I wouldn't even mind 32X support (though ideally patched in through the Genesis/MD slot), but only really since I have no way to play my 32X anymore, since the way I have my shelves set up, the 32X + game doesn't fit. I'd only really play Knuckles' Chaotix on it, but it seems like it'd be simple enough to patch it.

I'd love to be able to use translation patches on disc based games, but other than that, I'm okay with my old systems and would rather have N64/Game Gear. But in the future, sure.

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » June 13th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Lilith wrote:Personally I wouldn't even mind 32X support (though ideally patched in through the Genesis/MD slot), but only really since I have no way to play my 32X anymore, since the way I have my shelves set up, the 32X + game doesn't fit. I'd only really play Knuckles' Chaotix on it, but it seems like it'd be simple enough to patch it.

I'd love to be able to use translation patches on disc based games, but other than that, I'm okay with my old systems and would rather have N64/Game Gear. But in the future, sure.
I had read that 32x games will not physically fit into the Genesis slot on the Retron 5. Is this untrue?

I don't have any 32x games to try.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » June 20th, 2015, 5:46 pm

dashv wrote:
Lilith wrote:Personally I wouldn't even mind 32X support (though ideally patched in through the Genesis/MD slot), but only really since I have no way to play my 32X anymore, since the way I have my shelves set up, the 32X + game doesn't fit. I'd only really play Knuckles' Chaotix on it, but it seems like it'd be simple enough to patch it.

I had read that 32x games will not physically fit into the Genesis slot on the Retron 5. Is this untrue?

I don't have any 32x games to try.
I actually didn't even think that they wouldn't fit when I posted that, I guess I was thinking too much about the Sega Neptune, you know, the Genesis + 32x hybrid. I just took my 32x out (finally redid my shelves so that it fits now), and tried to put Knuckles Chaotix in my Genesis, it didn't even want to fit at all, like it didn't even go in at all.

On a hunch I just tried it in the Retron 5 (since I was told that MD games don't fit in Gens, but do in the Retron, same thing with SNES/SFC), same thing. So obviously this couldn't be done.

Mask of Destiny

Post by Mask of Destiny » June 24th, 2015, 5:06 pm

Lilith wrote:On a hunch I just tried it in the Retron 5 (since I was told that MD games don't fit in Gens, but do in the Retron, same thing with SNES/SFC), same thing. So obviously this couldn't be done.
32X cartridges are electrically compatible with Genesis ones so giving the Retron 5 the ability to read these is simply a matter of removing some plastic. Granted, it seems unlikely Hyperkin will ever official support 32X games as a result, but there's no reason some sort of community driven firmware couldn't support the 32X.

RockeTim

Post by RockeTim » June 27th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Could they realistically add a n64 software core to the system via a firmware update, along with hw support for this adapter that's already on the market?

Doing that would save them tons of money not having to do any hw design/production, and it also adds controller ports for n64. It plugs into the Sega slot.

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/63-retrode