GameGenie/actionreplay Inside a game? or

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
1pil

GameGenie/actionreplay Inside a game? or

Post by 1pil » January 27th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Since we can do this whole rom patching thing. I was wondering about something. I don't know if its possible but is there anyway to add like a action replay rom, game genie rom file into a game Or actually has anyone tried adding game genie rom patch and load it onto retron5 like we do with other roms?? And was able to swap and put in the game you added a code or codes to? This would be amazing and also not to mention may be the only way to add codes to games we don't own yet. Games we're playing as a rom using another cartridge. Since the system thinks we're playing something else. Or will it fail just like the system? Will the game genie or action replay also think we're playing the cartridge even though we're really playing a rom? Actually not sure how it'd work now that I think of it. Unless we can have more than 1 cartridge in the system at once? I haven't done that yet.....It would be the only way this would work.
Course this is just a theory and something I'd be willing to test. I want to believe it would work, it wouldn't hurt to try right?

hikaricore
Site Admin

Re: GameGenie/actionreplay Inside a game? or

Post by hikaricore » January 27th, 2015, 2:14 pm

It's a sound theory, this is how sonic's lockon feature works, basically you just merge the two rom files together in the correct order. In practice though I'm not certain. It would need to be tested on an emulator to see if such a thing does actually function, then the combined rom would have to be patched vs the original like all others. Worth looking at, but you'd ultimately have to do it for every game if it can even be used.

dashv
Site Moderator

Re: GameGenie/actionreplay Inside a game? or

Post by dashv » June 13th, 2015, 10:48 pm

I was actually thinking about this today.

While it would have to be done for every game it'd be worth it for games like Super Mario Bros that has lots of fun side effects with random game genie codes.