Is my Retron5 failing?

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
shanafan

Is my Retron5 failing?

Post by shanafan » January 20th, 2015, 1:12 am

I purchased my Retron5 just this past month.

I haven't had much issue with my NES running on the Retron5. Punch-Out, Double Dragon, and Super Mario Bros run perfectly.

I ran into an issue recently that it would not run Legend of Zelda. After many trials of cleaning the cart, I decided to exchange the cart at the store for another copy, and after a single cleaning of the new copy, it ran perfectly.

However, I have tried some newer pickups that I obtained (SMB3, Excitebike) and they just do not work. I have tried cleaning them (Windex on cotton swab), and they do not run. The errors that I am getting is either "Unknown cartridge" or "Error: Failed to dump ROM". To test my Retron5, I have tried running Punch-Out and Double Dragon (ones that I have played before on it), and they are not working either and I am getting the same errors.

I have looked at the pins inside my console, and they look fine. I think I might trying cleaning my NES carts with the Brasso method (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEqhgTqvV0Y)

Any other ideas why my NES carts have stopped working?

shanafan

Re: Is my Retron5 failing?

Post by shanafan » January 20th, 2015, 9:24 pm

Was able to fix my issues.

I did a factory reset on the Retron5, and also cleaned SMB3 and others with the above video's trick. It has done wonders! Brasso metal cleaner and some alcohol really cleaned up the cart well.

I haven't been able to run Donkey Kong Classics on NES yet. Keep getting the Failed to dump ROM error. Have to check the compatibility list.

But knock on wood.. looks like I am out of the woods :)