Charging R5 controller

Retron 5 hardware info, hacks, and customizations.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Zeldatreasury

Charging R5 controller

Post by Zeldatreasury » November 8th, 2014, 4:07 am

Hi this might seem like a stupid question but I can't tell when the retron 5 controller is charging or has finished charging?

As a related question can you still charge the controller while the power is off on the retron 5 but the console is still plugged in? Or does the console need to be running to charge?

Last question- anyone found any useful was to charge their controller ? I have no idea why Hyperkin would make a micro USB plug instead of the standard USB plug which every other console uses. Whoever designed the retron 5 controller needs to be shot

username

Re: Charging R5 controller

Post by username » November 8th, 2014, 8:55 am

I'm guessing they went with the micro instead of mini because a mini to mini is hard to find maybe? Although I'd never seen a micro to mini before either, so I dunno, but I guess it's a natural consequence of the usb otg

have you tried just a standard cellphone charger maybe? Can pick a micro usb charger up <$9 at some places

Zeldatreasury

Re: Charging R5 controller

Post by Zeldatreasury » November 11th, 2014, 6:00 am

Ok
Just figured out the controller does not charge unless the system is running, and there is no standby mode. Kind of dumb really. Defeats the purpose of having a charging bay