My RMA Adventure (possible fix for 'Fatal Error 0xF001')

Look at other people's screenshots or post your own. Videos of gameplay, tutorials, reviews, etc.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Seig

My RMA Adventure (possible fix for 'Fatal Error 0xF001')

Post by Seig » September 14th, 2014, 7:25 pm

I had a bit of an interesting experience with my second Retron 5 unit, and the whole mess started when my first one simply stopped powering on altogether. I contacted Hyperkin via e-mail; they were courteous enough in their replies, and eventually had me ship it in and then shipped me an 'intensively tested' replacement unit in return. Only, when it arrived, the ports along the back were completely loose from the shell, and when I managed to finangle the power and HDMI cords into their respective ports, the machine booted up to the message: FATAL ERROR 0xF001, Please contact technical support.

At this point, I really didn't want to bother shipping anything again. Hyperkin kindly offered to pay for shipping both ways this time, but I turned them down and considered it a loss. At this point I decided I'd really like to open it up and see if I couldn't fix it myself. Upon inspection of the insides, I discovered the ports were loose because the screws holding that board down were completely missing. They weren't rattling around loose somewhere, and there were no broken pieces of plastic, the screws were just missing. Hyperkin implied that it was likely due to damage from the courier, but I find it more likely that someone simply forgot to put those screws back in before closing the system up. (the box it came in had been opened, half the packaging material and the manuals were all missing, the rubber feet came off like they'd already been pulled off after they were originally glued on, etc) Two of the little micro ribbon cables connecting that board to the player 2 controller port board and the cartridge slot board had come loose, likely from that poor board bouncing around during shipping. So I re-secured every wire that wasn't soldered down, added two of my own screws, closed it back up, and the system has worked fine ever since, Player 2 ports and all.

For the fun of it, I thought I'd make a video "re-enactment" of the process I went through to fix it. I figure it might be somewhat entertaining, or possibly helpful to someone else with the Fatal Error 0xF001 issue. I didn't notice any way for Hyperkin to know if you've opened the machine or not, such as those stickers that leave the 'Void' residue and such, but I would keep in mind that you're likely throwing any existing warranty out the window if you attempt this, and should just be a final effort before deciding to throw it away/bronze it/smash it/whatever.