Saved State Format

Share saved states and game save files for the Retron 5 and Retro Freak.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Woff

Re: Saved State Format

Post by Woff » December 16th, 2015, 10:35 am

Have you named the file 'Final Fantasy (USA).save' or 'Final Fantasy (USA).sav'?

Rayquaza-Dot

Post by Rayquaza-Dot » December 26th, 2015, 6:28 pm

I have a problem where I converted the save file of my Pokémon Emerald to work on my PC but when I convert it back and run it through my retron 5 it says "the save file has been erased due to file corruption".

I'm pretty sure I followed all the instructions ok, although I did then change the name of the file from "Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe).sa1.sav" to "Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe).sav".

P.S I did take necessary precautions and made backups so I can still access the old old save file.

Woff

Post by Woff » January 1st, 2016, 8:12 am

Are you sure that you got the right file? The surfix of your savefile from the computer should be something like *.sav and not *.sa1.

Rayquaza-Dot

Post by Rayquaza-Dot » January 3rd, 2016, 6:54 pm

I converted it to sa1 because that's the file format that VBA uses.

Woff

Post by Woff » January 4th, 2016, 8:38 pm

Sorry but you have to use a VBA version that uses the sav file format. I think your VBA version can read sav but writes sa1 files.

Rayquaza-Dot

Post by Rayquaza-Dot » January 7th, 2016, 5:15 am

Fair enough, I'll try to find a version that reads sav files then.

Yohanetsu

Post by Yohanetsu » July 16th, 2016, 7:55 am

Hello,

I bought a retron 5 a couple of weeks ago. I have the latest firmware and all that. I plugged in my favourite game from my childhood (Shining Force 2) and somehow ... the cartridge got erased so my saves went byebye.

I've been trying to import saves from emulators so I can pickup the game where I left off without having to replay most of the game but I can't get the system to load the files. I've tried the program that has been posted here in the thread, I've renamed files to .sav etc etc but nothing works ... One time the system even said something like "Third party SDRAM save loaded" when I started the game but still no saves to continue the game from, just "new game"-

Is it possible to import save files (from emulators) and if so can anyone help me in the right direction?

Cheers!