Importing save data to Retron 5?

Share saved states and game save files for the Retron 5 and Retro Freak.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Retro Freak is trademarked CYBER Gadget Corporation. Retro Freak name is copyright CYBER Gadget Corporation. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Yumil

Importing save data to Retron 5?

Post by Yumil » June 21st, 2015, 1:49 am

Well, I guess I assumed this would be possible. Here's what I was hoping to do: I have a cartridge for Mother 3 (imported from Japan). I also played the fan translation on my PC for a while.

I was able to patch the cartridge with the Retron 5, so now the game plays in English. I was hoping to import my .sav file from the emulator on my PC and use it on the Retron 5, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Is this something currently possible, or am I just gonna have to start the game over (or finish it on my PC)?

Lilith
לילית

Re: Importing save data to Retron 5?

Post by Lilith » June 21st, 2015, 6:11 am

It's possible with 2.3 Beta

I haven't tried to do this myself, but I think how it's done is telling the Retron to see save data from the SD card rather than the internal storage, then pop the save onto the SD card. Also you'd need to change the file type, but it sounds like you've already done that. I think PC emus use like srm, Retron need sav.

1pil

Post by 1pil » August 18th, 2015, 11:54 am

Doesn't work. They lied. I changed the .sav format from Retron to srm, nothing happens. So I don't know wtf the Retron site is talking about.....it says importing saves from emulators would work. Well no they don't. I can confirm that. Unless there is a program that I need to do it? I am not aware of any that converts .sav to anything.....I just changed the extension.....so now its gonna be boring playing these without codes. Because even codes don't work....its like I can't have anything that I want. Only other thing I can think of....is starting a game on the emulator first THEN change file extension to .sav and see if the Retron can load it. That is something I have not done yet.....but something tells me it probably won't work. I suppose I could try.....

update----it worked! Holy crap it worked. Except now I got to start over....I was hoping I'd be able to use my old save file from Retron to load into the emulator. Wow.....this sucks. It sucks but doesn't suck lol....the thing is....why does it have to be this way???....I got to start a game and have codes on that one first just so I can put it into the retron?....that makes no sense. Why can't I transfir the sav from the retron over to the other?....this is nonsense....
but I guess its better than nothing.

Woff

Post by Woff » August 19th, 2015, 6:31 pm

1pil wrote:Doesn't work. They lied. I changed the .sav format from Retron to srm, nothing happens. So I don't know wtf the Retron site is talking about.....it says importing saves from emulators would work. Well no they don't. I can confirm that. Unless there is a program that I need to do it? I am not aware of any that converts .sav to anything.....I just changed the extension.....so now its gonna be boring playing these without codes. Because even codes don't work....its like I can't have anything that I want. Only other thing I can think of....is starting a game on the emulator first THEN change file extension to .sav and see if the Retron can load it. That is something I have not done yet.....but something tells me it probably won't work. I suppose I could try.....

update----it worked! Holy crap it worked. Except now I got to start over....I was hoping I'd be able to use my old save file from Retron to load into the emulator. Wow.....this sucks. It sucks but doesn't suck lol....the thing is....why does it have to be this way???....I got to start a game and have codes on that one first just so I can put it into the retron?....that makes no sense. Why can't I transfir the sav from the retron over to the other?....this is nonsense....
but I guess its better than nothing.
Or you could use the program i wrote and extract the sav files to srm:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67&start=10#p1075

1pil

Post by 1pil » August 20th, 2015, 11:48 am

Bloody hell.....no way. I'm surprised you didn't make a separate thread about it. Probably why I missed it. That looks VERY helpful.
Thank you. I may test it out shortly.

Woff

Post by Woff » August 22nd, 2015, 5:20 am

You're right. :oops: I have created a new thread and copied my post there.