Gameboy HuC3 Saves (Robopon (US+JP), Pocket Family 1+2)

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
TUWieZ

Gameboy HuC3 Saves (Robopon (US+JP), Pocket Family 1+2)

Post by TUWieZ » July 26th, 2018, 1:56 pm

I'm running official/most recent firmware on my retron5, and currently, I can't access my save files from any of my Robopon cartridges:

Robopon Sun (US), Robopon Sun (JP), Robopon Star (JP), Robopon Moon (JP), Robopon Comic Bom Bom (JP)

(RTC battery enabled pokemon clone games by hudson that came out between pokemon gen 1 and 2)

These cartridges all share the same unique hardware design and save mapper, known as "HuC3" - which is only supported by specialty emulators like GEST and GameYob.

Has anyone been able to access save files on these game carts through their retron5 with homebrew or cfw and/or is it possible? I need to back up these game's saves and I'd really like to play them on the retron5

As I stated, these cartridges have a unique hardware design: and that design includes features that drain the save battery faster than any of the pokemon games (IR transmitter/receiver on cart, speaker on cart, real-time-clock) which is why being able to back this save up is important. Thanks.