need help on my retron5 playing repro's

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
weekendgamer

need help on my retron5 playing repro's

Post by weekendgamer » September 30th, 2017, 12:10 am

hello everybody i am new here to this site. i need to know a few things about my retron5 console since i had it on day one release and been updated my console.

1. i need to know if repro cart base games can be play on the retron5?

2.if so what do i have to look for of a repro cart of it quality?

3. if not then what do i have to do make it work?

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: need help on my retron5 playing repro's

Post by R9delta » September 30th, 2017, 1:49 am

Repros are extremely hit or miss on the Retron 5. To the point where I'd really recommend against them if the sole purpose is playing them on it and not an original system or hardware clone. The Retron 5 identifies cartridges and addresses compatibility issues by using an internal database of CRC/identifiers and only Hyperkin can modify that..so if a particular cartridge is not already in that database at best case scenario it won't get recognized but it MIGHT play and worse case it won't play at all and you'll have a bad time. If you do purchase a repro and it doesn't work the only people who can fix that is Hyperkin and they're pretty much stopped all support for the Retron 5 when it comes to updates and fixing compatibility issues.

It's a bit self-serving to say this honestly given that I'm one of the major ones that makes them...but for your homebrew or translation needs I'd probably stick with patches when it comes to the Retron and shy away from repros. Now again if you're using repro cartridges to play on another console then that's different.

weekendgamer

Re: need help on my retron5 playing repro's

Post by weekendgamer » September 30th, 2017, 9:40 pm

the reason i ask is because i been eye balling some jrpg games with the english translate. i know i can get the english patch but the cart alone is kinda getting hard to get since alot of people like me are getting them when available or ebay or third party site. so i am looking at homebrew as my last hope.