Copy save to SMS cart

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Kfred

Copy save to SMS cart

Post by Kfred » August 27th, 2017, 10:22 am

I curious to know if its possible. There are only a couple Master System games with save capability, but the 'copy save to cart' option always fails for me. Ive tried phantasy star, golden axe warrior, monopoly, miracke warriors. Same thing with all. Copy save to retron works, copy save to cart fails. I dont have the issue with snes, genesis, gb, gba. Im guessing its just a master system thing. Anyone know if it can be done or if its a console issue that was never addressed?

Also wondering if there is any way to play a japanese mark 3 cart on the retron5. Anyone know ? Thank you

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Copy save to SMS cart

Post by R9delta » August 29th, 2017, 1:51 pm

As far as I understand it yes it's an issue that was never addressed by Hyperkin. At first saves did not work at all period but they've at least fixed that. Also you can play Mark III cartridges by using the Retro Freak Gear Converter from by Cyber Gadget (works exactly like Hyperkin's adapter but primarily for japanese games)

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » August 29th, 2017, 9:12 pm

I seem to remember trying Phantasy Star on my PWB on my Retron 5, only to be disappointed that it didn't carry over my saves and also couldn't save to the cart. At this point, I'd probably be better off finishing it on my Master System or starting over and abusing fast forward.

Kfred

Post by Kfred » August 30th, 2017, 6:13 am

R9delta wrote:As far as I understand it yes it's an issue that was never addressed by Hyperkin. At first saves did not work at all period but they've at least fixed that. Also you can play Mark III cartridges by using the Retro Freak Gear Converter from by Cyber Gadget (works exactly like Hyperkin's adapter but primarily for japanese games)
It does? Awesome. I wondered about that but i couldnt find anywhere that said it would. That is awesome, although that adapter is quite expensive. Ill have to consider, thank you!