Is there something such as TV compatibility?

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
jayare5

Is there something such as TV compatibility?

Post by jayare5 » September 18th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Hi. I am confused about something on my RetroN5.

I have used it with a computer monitor and a HDTV.
On the HDTV, there is bad lag.
On the computer monitor, it is a lot better.

But note that on this TV, any other game console that outputs HDMI has absolutely no lag.
The TV has a Game mode, which I never needed, and enabling it for the RetroN5 does nothing.
Does the RetroN5 have compatibility issues with some TVs?

On a side note: Can the own RetroN5's lag ever be reduced to an unnoticeable amount? I mean, I notice input lag even in PC emulators without VSync. This console has more lag than a PC emulator WITH Vsync.

With how things are for me right now, connecting a NES directly to my HDTV via Composite is way better. Sure it looks a bit degraded in quality, not even that much, but It only feels like maybe a frame of lag or less. It almost feels real time. I thought that the RetroN5 would rid us from HD TV lag once and for all.

MrMan2k7

Re: Is there something such as TV compatibility?

Post by MrMan2k7 » September 18th, 2014, 4:42 pm

In addition to turning on Game Mode, you might want to try turning off any other video enhancement options which could be adding lag.

The problem also could be that the Retron5 outputs at 720p, so if you have a 1080p TV it will need to upscale the image.

jayare5

Re: Is there something such as TV compatibility?

Post by jayare5 » September 18th, 2014, 5:37 pm

MrMan2k7 wrote:In addition to turning on Game Mode, you might want to try turning off any other video enhancement options which could be adding lag.

The problem also could be that the Retron5 outputs at 720p, so if you have a 1080p TV it will need to upscale the image.
Forgot to mention, I have tested 720p too, specifically the Wii U's 720p mode. I've even tested 480p.
All these modes play without any lag at all. But IF there is lag due to upscaling, it's VERY minimum, I can't feel it. It feels the same on all modes.

All I see Game Mode doing is putting a preset color setting that I can't change. Other than that, it does not improve the RetroN5.

I did not find any video enhancements enabled. But even if there were, how is that affecting the RetroN5 only and nothing else?