Is the Retron 5 just not (yet) compatible with batteries?

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
JustJeff88

Is the Retron 5 just not (yet) compatible with batteries?

Post by JustJeff88 » February 18th, 2016, 9:40 pm

I picked up a copy of Triple Play Gold for the Genesis for very cheap from a shop recently, and I found to my dismay that the battery check when the game starts always fails on the retron. I assumed that my copy just had a dead battery, but I put it in my Nomad and the battery test passed with the game booting up with no issues. That being the case, I have to assume that the battery is fine and there is just an incompatibility between it and the Retron.

I realise that the Retron itself has its own save features, but the problem is that the game disables most of the content if the battery test fails. Specifically, it disables anything that would require saving, so no transactions, season, playoffs, creating players, editing rosters etc. This kind of buggers the game for me. Does anyone know a work-around for this, or anything that can be done? These retro sports games are a big reason that I bought the Retron, and not being able to enjoy them fully is a major disappointment.

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Is the Retron 5 just not (yet) compatible with batteries

Post by R9delta » February 20th, 2016, 3:04 pm

Yeah it has nothing actually do with the physical battery when it comes to the Retron 5. The Retron 5 just dumps the rom and emulates it. If you're getting problems like that it's likely that the Retron 5 doesn't emulate the game correctly. Nothing you can do besides maybe message Hyperkin on Facebook (although the likelihood of them bothering to get back to you or take it seriously is almost none)