Favourite game won't work in R5 - any options?

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
JustJeff88

Favourite game won't work in R5 - any options?

Post by JustJeff88 » February 7th, 2016, 11:51 am

Very recently, I bought a Retron 5 and, by and large, I'm pleased with it. My favourite "retro" game of all time is the original Toe Jam & Earl. I'm fortunate enough to have a copy and it works splendidly and looks great in 720p. I'm also fond of the sequel, Panic on Funkatron, and unfortunately it simply will not work on the Retron. The first time I put it in, it recognized the game and the splash screen appeared to the right as usual. As soon as I started the game, though, the intro screen showed up for a fraction of a second, there was a flash, and it went black. Now it still recognizes the game but it's dark on the side-screen and stays that way if I start the game. Note that I tested the game in my Nomad and it was fine.

Anything that I can do here? This was one of the games I was most looking forward to playing in 720p and I'm gutted even though I have the Steam version as well. Copies can be had online for about $18, but I don't want to pay again for a game that I own when I'm not sure that it will help.

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Favourite game won't work in R5 - any options?

Post by R9delta » February 7th, 2016, 1:03 pm

Depending on what firmware version you're on for the Retron 5 that could be determining what's causing this issue. A lot of Genesis/Mega Drive games were broken after a certain update (don't remember which one).

http://retron5.in/node/6

Update to firmware v2.3 beta 3 and that should fix the issue i believe (you can downgrade as well to a lower version). If you're already on that version then i'm not sure what the issue could be for you. The game is normally supported and if it wasnt going to work it would have read as an unknown cartridge or not dump period.