Unofficial Compatibility List

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
dashv
Site Moderator

Unofficial Compatibility List

Post by dashv » September 17th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Hey guys.

Me and a handful of folks maintain a peer reviewed compatibility list in our spare time.

It should help you determine if your game needs another cleaning or needs to wait for a new firmware to be playable.

We currently have coverage for over 1,000 games.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... g/htmlview

I won't claim it's perfect or complete. But it's better than searching facebook posts. :)

Got a game you want tried and added to the compatibility list?

Let us know here!

Keep in mind we're all volunteers and carts cost money!

We can't promise to fulfill every request but we will try to prioritize based on what folks are most looking for.

Lastly, do us a favor and check out the list BEFORE posting your request. :)

MrMan2k7

Re: Unofficial Compatibility List (can we make this a sticky

Post by MrMan2k7 » September 17th, 2014, 10:50 pm

How can I add to the list? It seems to be in View Only mode.

heyuimintojsus

Re: Unofficial Compatibility List

Post by heyuimintojsus » September 17th, 2014, 11:38 pm

I have contacted Retron Tech and let them know for NES:

Willow comes up "ERROR: failed to dump ROM"
Lolo 2 will freeze when it goes to first cut scene that's black.

Both work on Retron 3.

I am not sure if you want these, but these work for NES, but come up as unknown cartridge. They will save, though.

Tecmo Super Bowl 14
Tecmo Super Bowl 15
Tecmo Super Bowl College 15
RBI Baseball 14

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » September 18th, 2014, 12:37 am

heyuimintojsus wrote:I have contacted Retron Tech and let them know for NES:

I can't speak for Lolo 2 cause I don't have that game.

But I can personally vouch for Willow working:

And playing:

This is on the latest v2.0 beta 5 firmware. I can check the last stable one too.

dashv
Site Moderator

Re: Unofficial Compatibility List (can we make this a sticky

Post by dashv » September 18th, 2014, 12:46 am

MrMan2k7 wrote:How can I add to the list? It seems to be in View Only mode.
Check out the "How to Add to the List" tab.

I have to let folks in to the sharing circle in order for them to be able to add to it.

I know it sounds elitist but really it's not.

Becoming a maintainer of the list is simple. Get similar results as the rest of us on at least 20 games in the list and have a bunch of games we haven't added yet and you're in. If you hose the list or cause trouble. You're out and we restore from a backup.

It's done that way to ensure what's on the list is as definitive as possible. When I started the list folks on Facebook were giving all kinds of well intentioned but conflicting information.

Some of the most insistent people were just flat out wrong.

If you see 3 or four people vouch for a game working on the list and your copy doesn't either:

A) there is a bug in the firmware you are using. (We list what firmware we confirmed with)
B) your game is dirty (even if it works in your nes every time)
C) your game is broken (not always obvious I'll provide details on this in a separate post)
D) your Retron 5 pins might be physically damaged. (Obvious to tell by looking)
E) we could be lying because we are secretly shilling for Hyperkin (we're not I promise)

At some point I'd like to make the list wide open but I have yet to figure out a way to do it that maintains it's accuracy. Because it's so accurate Hyperkin actually reviews it from time to time to find out what they need to fix.

Jurassic Park (SNES)
Super Street Fighter II

Were fixed the very next build after they were published as not working.

And
Mega Man X

Was fixed (in part) because we had 4 people on the list report their copies didn't work.

Failrunner

Post by Failrunner » September 18th, 2014, 7:01 am

dashv wrote:
heyuimintojsus wrote:I have contacted Retron Tech and let them know for NES:

I can't speak for Lolo 2 cause I don't have that game.

But I can personally vouch for Willow working:

And playing:

This is on the latest v2.0 beta 5 firmware. I can check the last stable one too.
From that picture i gather you like the original Xbox. Lol. 4 Xbox ones. oops i mean originals. =)

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » September 18th, 2014, 10:56 am

Failrunner wrote:From that picture i gather you like the original Xbox. Lol. 4 Xbox ones. oops i mean originals. =)
One I've had for over 10 years. Another is my spare. The other two are available for trade. All of them have larger hard drives, xbmc, and other goodies installed.

If anybody wants to trade my wishlist is here:
http://vgcollect.com/wishlist/dashv

Necrobot20XX

Post by Necrobot20XX » September 18th, 2014, 7:06 pm

I have a question / concern. I only have two games that don't work for me so far. Both are on the compatibility list however. Using the patching system in the beta I loaded those games with another game and they ran fine. So, based on what happens when they are inserted into the Retron 5, I must assume something is wrong with the cartridges. One does absolutely nothing, the Retron only acknowledges it if another cart is inserted. By the way I am using a GBA dust cover from a DS Lite for mine and even if I remove the pcb from it, if it is too far in the Retron will tell me there are multiple carts inserted if something else is in... Anyway, the other game always says unknown cartridge and if I try to play it anyway I just get a blank gray screen. Since both games are on the compatibility list as working and they work in the original systems and I have opened and cleaned them multiple times, then what is wrong. I'm not blaming the Retron 5. I'm just confused. Everything else plays great and I just hope some of my games aren't going bad already or something. One last note is that The Sims Bustin' Out for GBA isn't on the list. It isn't recognized for me but it played. I don't know how well, it's my girlfriends and I didn't want to risk losing her save she's had since she was a kid. Any help would be appreciated.

JDavis

Post by JDavis » September 18th, 2014, 10:08 pm

I understand where you're coming from, Necrobot. I'm down to two official (ie not repro or homebrew) carts that have issues, and according to the compatibility list they shouldn't.

Yoshi (NES) plays perfectly fine, but it comes up as "Unrecognized cart", even though the compatibility list says it should be recognized. It's possible there's more than one software revision and mine's rev 1 or something.

Pinball (NES) gives me a "ERROR: Failed to dump rom" message, but according to the compatibility list it should work perfectly fine.

Both have pristine pins and work on my actual NESes.

I also had a copy of Sonic 1 that wouldn't work at all (always gave the no cart inserted message), but I sold it because I have a copy of Sonic Classics anyway.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » September 18th, 2014, 10:36 pm

I can confirm that Pinball for the NES works fine on my unit. Sorry yours doesn't. :/