Unofficial Compatibility List

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Seig

Re: Unofficial Compatibility List

Post by Seig » September 27th, 2014, 2:34 pm

I guess I'm gonna have to check and see if I can open Dragon Warrior when I get home from work, or else order whatever I need for those security screws if that game has them. I'm on my second unit now and the system has the same issue where it seems like the pins aren't quite connecting with the odd-ball half-length leads on the back of the cartridge, so it either fails to dump the rom, or doesn't register that a cart has been inserted at all. Yet it's been confirmed by others to be working.

I contributed a few games to that list, mostly Genesis games, under 'Seig345' :D
Currently in the process of dynamiting the room with all my retro game stuff in it, I may have to go ahead and check my game collection against that list before everything gets organized away. :)

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » September 27th, 2014, 2:42 pm

Seig wrote:I guess I'm gonna have to check and see if I can open Dragon Warrior when I get home from work, or else order whatever I need for those security screws if that game has them. I'm on my second unit now and the system has the same issue where it seems like the pins aren't quite connecting with the odd-ball half-length leads on the back of the cartridge, so it either fails to dump the rom, or doesn't register that a cart has been inserted at all. Yet it's been confirmed by others to be working.

I contributed a few games to that list, mostly Genesis games, under 'Seig345' :D
Currently in the process of dynamiting the room with all my retro game stuff in it, I may have to go ahead and check my game collection against that list before everything gets organized away. :)
Thanks for helping with the list. I've updated my troubleshooting post with a link to the security bits I bought and recommend:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52&p=140#p140

Sfour8786

Post by Sfour8786 » September 27th, 2014, 7:47 pm

I added Grandia Parallel Trippers for the GBC to the list. It is in Japanese but it doesn't play at all. Theres also a patch out there to convert the game to english.

8BitsDeep

Post by 8BitsDeep » September 29th, 2014, 11:29 am

Just to follow up on my problem in case anyone with the issue finds this thread.

I contacted Hyperkin and they suggested I try a system reset. This fixed all my problems, couldn't be happier! :)
You can try doing a Retron reset settings following the below instructions.

1. Obtain a SD card,
2. connect SD card to a PC
3. In the root folder of the SD card, create a folder labeled "RETRON_RESET_SETTINGS" (exactly as written here, no file extension)
4. Once this folder has been created, safely remove the SD from PC
5. Ensure that the RetroN 5 unit is powered on and then insert the SD card into the unit. It will then automatically reboot, and should subsequently show the "first run" screen and reset the settings.

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » September 29th, 2014, 11:51 am

8BitsDeep wrote:Just to follow up on my problem in case anyone with the issue finds this thread.

I contacted Hyperkin and they suggested I try a system reset. This fixed all my problems, couldn't be happier! :)
You can try doing a Retron reset settings following the below instructions.

1. Obtain a SD card,
2. connect SD card to a PC
3. In the root folder of the SD card, create a folder labeled "RETRON_RESET_SETTINGS" (exactly as written here, no file extension)
4. Once this folder has been created, safely remove the SD from PC
5. Ensure that the RetroN 5 unit is powered on and then insert the SD card into the unit. It will then automatically reboot, and should subsequently show the "first run" screen and reset the settings.
Great to hear you got it working without an RMA! :)

TyrannicalFascist

Post by TyrannicalFascist » September 29th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Somehow I missed that there was an unofficial community started for the RetroN5!

I'm one of the contributors to this compatibility list, and as of v2.0, the only games I own that don't work are the GB game Joshua by Wisdom Tree, and a handful of bootleg GB multi-carts with hacked games like "Super Mario Land 4" and "Sonic Adventur 7".

As I pick up new games I'll continue to test them on the original hardware and the Retron and add them to the list.
Check out TheCoverProject for game cases and covers for all your favorite retro games!

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » September 29th, 2014, 2:31 pm

TyrannicalFascist wrote:Somehow I missed that there was an unofficial community started for the RetroN5!

I'm one of the contributors to this compatibility list, and as of v2.0, the only games I own that don't work are the GB game Joshua by Wisdom Tree, and a handful of bootleg GB multi-carts with hacked games like "Super Mario Land 4" and "Sonic Adventur 7".

As I pick up new games I'll continue to test them on the original hardware and the Retron and add them to the list.
My bad.

I should probably send an email to everyone on the list. :)

Glad to see you're still active TF. :) You've been a contributor from the beginning. :)

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » September 29th, 2014, 2:32 pm

TyrannicalFascist wrote:Somehow I missed that there was an unofficial community started for the RetroN5!

Welcome to our humble hole in the wall. ^_^

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » September 29th, 2014, 2:44 pm

hikaricore wrote:

Welcome to our humble hole in the wall. ^_^
We're getting the band back together.

We're on a mission from gad!

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » October 1st, 2014, 8:40 pm

Phantasy Star and Ys for Master System both load fine via the Power Base Converter, but they don't seem to want to transfer my saves, or even recognize them. Both games want me to start over, but the good news is that once I pop them back in my SMS, the saves are still there, so I'm wondering if that's an issue with Master System games and the Retron 5?