Unofficial Compatibility List

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
dashv
Site Moderator

Re: Unofficial Compatibility List

Post by dashv » October 1st, 2014, 11:38 pm

Lilith wrote:Phantasy Star and Ys for Master System both load fine via the Power Base Converter, but they don't seem to want to transfer my saves, or even recognize them. Both games want me to start over, but the good news is that once I pop them back in my SMS, the saves are still there, so I'm wondering if that's an issue with Master System games and the Retron 5?
It could be! I don't have the physical cartridge versions of these games (I have them on the Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3).

Contact Retron Tech and he should be able to tell you if it's supported. If not he can target support for an upcoming firmware release!

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » October 2nd, 2014, 11:29 am

I don't have personal experience with this but i've seen it discussed on other forums that the Retron 5 doesn't support SRAM on SMS carts at all, not just partially or that there's compatibility problems here and there, it just doesn't support them, period

heyuimintojsus

Post by heyuimintojsus » October 2nd, 2014, 11:13 pm

Does anyone know about Lolo 2 on the NES and if it works right?
It will work on the Retron 3, but freezes on the 5. Retron Tech says it may be hardware, but how does it work on one and not the other?

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » October 3rd, 2014, 2:05 am

Just throwing this out there, a guy I know had trouble with some stuff, namely Zelda 1, where it'd stutter and lag on him. He's since gotten a system reset, and that seemed to have fixed it. So I think that can sort out some problems, if you're willing to do that. Maybe back up your stuff on an SD card prior to that.

LoneGun

Post by LoneGun » October 4th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Sfour8786 wrote:I added Grandia Parallel Trippers for the GBC to the list. It is in Japanese but it doesn't play at all. Theres also a patch out there to convert the game to english.
My copy worked fine on the latest firmware and I successfully applied the patch to convert it to English.

So far all my games have been working and patching successfully except for SD Keiji Blader for the Famicom. I get unrecognized cartridge and a green screen with garbled text when trying to play. I can hear audio and move what I think is the menu cursor around.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » October 7th, 2014, 1:15 am

I just picked up a Mother 3 Reproduction cart, not only does it not recognize on the Retron 5 (but still plays), it loads VERY slow.

MrMan2k7

Post by MrMan2k7 » October 7th, 2014, 10:04 am

Lilith wrote:I just picked up a Mother 3 Reproduction cart, not only does it not recognize on the Retron 5 (but still plays), it loads VERY slow.
Most GBA games tend to load very slow. Does your Mother 3 repro cart load particularly slower than any other GBA games?

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » October 7th, 2014, 4:07 pm

MrMan2k7 wrote:
Lilith wrote:I just picked up a Mother 3 Reproduction cart, not only does it not recognize on the Retron 5 (but still plays), it loads VERY slow.
Most GBA games tend to load very slow. Does your Mother 3 repro cart load particularly slower than any other GBA games?

Yes, it does.

hikaricore
Site Admin

Post by hikaricore » October 7th, 2014, 4:53 pm

ROM sizes are much larger with GBA titles, makes sense. Who knows how that repro is put together.

Seig

Post by Seig » October 14th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Well snap, I got that awesome 2-screwdriver set for opening NES carts (among many others), but it seems I still can't get the original Dragon Warrior (NES) to work. I've gone as far as taking the top half of the Retron 5 off and just directly plugging the bare circuit board into the slot so that there's no way the top half of the Retron 5 or the cartridge shell could be to blame, and the best I can get is the Failed to Dump Rom error.

There's really nothing in it for me if I fix it, in terms of gameplay, just a technical issue I was hoping to solve (I get about as much entertainment out of fixing electronics as I do playing games :lol: ) I guess the game is going for cheap enough online if I -really- wanted to try finding one that worked, and since I can open the carts now, I could just swap the shell if the replacement's label/shell was in bad shape. I guess the save data transfer would be tricky though, seeing as if I could transfer the save data, the game would be working and I wouldn't need a replacement. ;p

Still, those tool kits are nice to have. I recently fixed two Nintendo Wii's (stuck fan/overheating in one, other couldn't read game discs) thanks to the twi-wing screwdriver in the kit I originally ordered to fix a Gameboy (which I also fixed. My brother sent home while he was in the navy asking if we could find somewhere to get it fixed. I was around 15 years late in getting it fixed :lol: ).

So I have no doubt I'll be getting some kind of value out of them at some point. Heck I just remembered I have an Ultima game for the SNES that never worked even on an original SNES, now I'm curious! :twisted: