Unofficial Compatibility List

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
countsean

Re: Unofficial Compatibility List

Post by countsean » June 24th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Do you guys have any issues where at times you get a Error: Cartridge Power Fault with certain games? Front Mission (SFC) seems to be giving me issues.

Roystorey

Post by Roystorey » June 26th, 2015, 1:58 pm

I haven't been able to add to the Google list but I had a couple audio issues with some games on 2.2:

Tom and Jerry (Game Boy)
Some odd sound glitches. Sometimes music will just stop completely, some sounds don't play, etc. Mine's on a bootleg cart though so I dunno if it's just that, but the sound's fine on other GBs.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (GBA)
Had a couple moments where the music sounds like it's skipping.

Platoon (NES)
A bit into the game the audio turns really low for whatever reason.

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » August 1st, 2015, 2:46 pm

countsean wrote:Do you guys have any issues where at times you get a Error: Cartridge Power Fault with certain games? Front Mission (SFC) seems to be giving me issues.
This usually means the cartidge is not connecting cleanly with the socket.

Some carts have thinner boards so they can wiggle around and short in the slot.

Others may be dirty or corroded.

Dirt can be cleaned off. Corrosion can sometimes be remedied by carefully re-tinning the contacts with a small amount of solder. I had to do this for one of my games that hadn't aged well (Renegade for NES).

ehwestra

Post by ehwestra » September 4th, 2015, 4:19 pm

We picked up a pretty darn nice copy of Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajima for SFC but can't seem to get it working on the Retron5. It doesn't even recognize there's a cart there. We have the newest firmware update and are hoping to patch the English translation on. Any tips? Is there anything special we need to do to get it to read?

Thanks guys!

Sfour8786

Post by Sfour8786 » September 15th, 2015, 3:24 pm

ehwestra wrote:We picked up a pretty darn nice copy of Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajima for SFC but can't seem to get it working on the Retron5. It doesn't even recognize there's a cart there. We have the newest firmware update and are hoping to patch the English translation on. Any tips? Is there anything special we need to do to get it to read?

Thanks guys!

So, i have played it, and it does work. Theres a trick to it. When i first got it to work, everything was fine, however, when i had to stop and come back to play it, it would load a black screen. (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MULTIPLE SAVE STATES) I then had to to to the menu, exit out of the game, reset it, THEN load my save state. I had to do this everytime but it was worth it for how good that game was.

Not sure if it is the Retron or the patch for the game. the music was super shoddy and would just stop minutes at a time. I think a company called RoseColoredGaming released an official US translation that was super expensive. I think they may have had someone internal release and finish their own custom patch. I would not want to sell a product if it worked the way the japanese game and patch did.

liquidmetalrob

Post by liquidmetalrob » September 30th, 2015, 8:31 pm

Can anyone tell me how well Lagrange Point works? Does it work at all? Can the Retron 5 emulate the VRC7 chip and does it reproduce the sound accurately? Is it possible to use the translation patch?

DeathByBFG

Post by DeathByBFG » October 8th, 2015, 9:49 pm

I just wanted to mention something. I've recently upgraded to 2.3 Beta 2. It looks like Sonic 3 and Vectorman no longer freeze. I read somewhere that they failed at the flame wall in Sonic 3 and level 2 of Vectorman while on 2.2. Well that no longer appears to be the case. Just an FYI. :-)

Xemmber

Post by Xemmber » December 9th, 2015, 1:10 pm

I get a "Rom dump error" or "Unknown cartridge" message with my Dr. Chaos (US) cartridge. Is there anyone that got his/her Dr. Chaos cart to work?
Attachments
7.JPG

dashv
Site Moderator

Post by dashv » January 3rd, 2016, 3:28 am

Xemmber wrote:I get a "Rom dump error" or "Unknown cartridge" message with my Dr. Chaos (US) cartridge. Is there anyone that got his/her Dr. Chaos cart to work?
Amazingly, none of us maintaining the list have that game!

I might get myself a copy.

Xemmber

Post by Xemmber » January 3rd, 2016, 1:48 pm

dashv wrote:
Xemmber wrote:I get a "Rom dump error" or "Unknown cartridge" message with my Dr. Chaos (US) cartridge. Is there anyone that got his/her Dr. Chaos cart to work?
Amazingly, none of us maintaining the list have that game!

I might get myself a copy.
It was quite cheap, from ebay. ;)