Anybody have issues with Retron reading games or pins?

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
dustbuster

Anybody have issues with Retron reading games or pins?

Post by dustbuster » September 16th, 2015, 9:51 pm

I just returned my retron 5 in exchange for a newer model(Snes Pin connectors were pulling out - a few pushed in and I feared it was only a matter of time before it stopped reading games). My new retron 5 is cool...you don't have to hold the button down...just push and it turns on. The issue however is that it won't read a few snes games that the other one did. Madden for example. The famicom slot hardly reads any of my games. It read rockman 1-3 and 5,super mario 3 but did not read rockman 4 and 6, kirbys adventure, donkey kong, dk jr, excitebike, super mario bros, zelda, mother, etc etc...is it possible that I just was unlucky to have had so many issues with the system? The first one stopped reading famicom, pins pulled out etc, and did not ready all nes games(it was random) the second one lasted longer...but snes pins had issues, this one looks great but doesn't read everything the last one did. Games are clean and run on the regular snes/nes and famicom systems. Gameboy and gba never had issues with any of them. I love playing my games on the retron and hope the next one is awesome and with no issues. Any thoughs would be appreciated :)

dustbuster

Re: Anybody have issues with Retron reading games or pins?

Post by dustbuster » September 17th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Update: Exchanged for a new retron 5 today, everything works as it should. Hopefully everybody else's experience is smoother. Retron 4 life

DeathByBFG

Post by DeathByBFG » October 4th, 2015, 9:36 pm

I have a question for you. How did you exchange it for a newer model? Mine broke back in July and I got a replacement in August. I suspect the replacement is a refurb. It seems as of tonight it won't read any SNES games and it sporadically reads Famicom and Genesis games. Unsure what's happening with the Famicom and Genesis ports but the SNES port seems too loose. The games slide in and out with little to no effort. And if it does read Famicom games it typically says unknown cartridge. I want to get one of the newer ones but I would hate to have to shell out ~150 for a new one.

dustbuster

Post by dustbuster » October 5th, 2015, 4:20 pm

I called Hyperkin as well as the store I bought it from. Everybody was cool and offered an exchange...I didn't want to mail mine in so I took it to the store and that was that :)