having trouble reading games

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
Dadcoy

having trouble reading games

Post by Dadcoy » August 2nd, 2015, 10:59 pm

it seems that for almost every game no matter the system, it says no cartridge or if I get it to load it will say unknown cartridge, sometimes it will then start game and go back to main screen and then it will load and read game. do we have a problem with the system? it is new and we just bought it Friday.

thanks in advance, but starting to think I should have gotten a sega, Nintendo and a 64 instead....
firmware is 2.0

DeathByBFG

Re: having trouble reading games

Post by DeathByBFG » October 4th, 2015, 9:42 pm

First thing I would suggest is to clean the games. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol with q-tips to clean mine. I dab it in the alcohol then try and brush off some so it's not too wet then rub it on the contacts. Then I take the dry side and gently rub it on the contacts again to dry them up.

If cleaning them doesn't help check out the pins on the connectors. If they look too funky, specifically if they're bent in too much, you may have a problem and need to get it switched out. Also, if the connectors are too loose you may also have a problem and the connection.

I had my Retron 5 replaced once because it happened to stop reading games. But for some reason one of the pins on my NES connector was bent WAY too much and once that happened it failed. Unsure how it happened though. But when it worked it was damn awesome. Call Hyperkin during their business hours. They're pretty easy to deal with and I feel they have good support and stand behind their products.