SNES Controller Extensions

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
MrMan2k7

SNES Controller Extensions

Post by MrMan2k7 » September 16th, 2014, 11:17 am

I'm having an issue with using SNES controller extensions with my Retron5. I believe these are Retro-Bit brand extenders, which worked fine on my SNES. I'm using firmware v2.0 Beta 5. (The extenders also were not working with Beta 4, but I never tried it on the stable firmware.)

When I plug them in, all the buttons are mapped incorrectly. For example, pressing R acts as if I pressed Up on the Dpad.

When I posted about this on Hyperkin's Facebook page, somebody mentioned the Tyco Power Plug working as an cable extension with their Retron5. I've got one on order now, so I'll report back on if I have more luck with this accessory.

Has anybody else had this problem with extension cables? If you have cables that work without issue, what brand are the cables, and what firmware version are you using?

Seig

Re: SNES Controller Extensions

Post by Seig » September 16th, 2014, 4:17 pm

I wonder if this is in any way related to the issue Hyperkin more or less confirmed with the standard Nintendo SNES controllers being mapped incorrectly as well.

MrMan2k7

Post by MrMan2k7 » September 16th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Seig wrote:I wonder if this is in any way related to the issue Hyperkin more or less confirmed with the standard Nintendo SNES controllers being mapped incorrectly as well.
I hadn't heard about this. Do you have a link?

My controllers do work fine without extender cables.

cgallizzi
Hyperkin

Post by cgallizzi » September 17th, 2014, 7:12 pm

we have been trying to find some wonky snes controllers to test but we haven't had the luck

Antoine_France

Post by Antoine_France » September 18th, 2014, 5:24 pm

hello,

I bought two entension cables (see picture below), and it's weird....

I have 2 Super Famicom controllers (controller A and controller B)
They both work fine on both controller slot.

When I plug one (or two combined !) extension cable(s) with controller A, it works on slot 1 or slot 2.

When I plug an extendion cable with controller B I have some issues (mapped incorrectly), on slot 1 or slot 2 (same problem with the 2 extensions cables)

There is no logical explanation :cry:

NB : firmware V1.6

Last edited by Antoine_France on September 18th, 2014, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMan2k7

Post by MrMan2k7 » September 18th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Antoine_France wrote:hello,

I bought two entension cables (see picture below), and it's weird....

I have 2 Super Famicom controllers (controller A and controller B)
They both work fine on both controller slot.

When I plug one (or two combined !) extension cable(s) with controller A, it works on slot 1 or slot 2.

When I plug an extendion cable with controller B I have some issues (mapped incorrectly), on slot 1 or slot 2 (same problem with the 2 extensions cables)

There is no logical explanation :cry:

These are the same extension cables I am using. I wonder if these specific cables are causing an issue?

Antoine_France

Post by Antoine_France » September 18th, 2014, 5:31 pm

It works PERFECTLY with "controller A", even if i put two cables together (I can play very far from my tv....), so why the problem would come from the cables ?

And why it doesnt work on "controller B", even if controller B alone works great.....???

I made all the crossmatch tests, and there is definitly no logical reason...

JDavis

Post by JDavis » September 18th, 2014, 5:58 pm

I don't seem to have any problem with my extension cables, with either my OEM Nintendo controllers or my Retro-bit SNES controllers.

These are the cables I have

MrMan2k7

Post by MrMan2k7 » September 24th, 2014, 9:24 am

Thanks! I bought these, and they work great with the Retron5! I have no idea why my other extension cables don't work, but I'm glad it's not my system that's the problem.

Sfour8786

Post by Sfour8786 » September 25th, 2014, 2:33 pm

My SNES Controller after it's plugged in has to be pulled out ever so slightly to fully work. If it's plugged in all the way it has that mapping issue where only the R button X button work for Up and Down. Anyone else with this issue? Extension cables don't even register.