How to play GameBoy games on the Retron5

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
shanafan

How to play GameBoy games on the Retron5

Post by shanafan » July 15th, 2016, 11:36 pm

Am I missing something here? I have tried to plug in any of my original GameBoy games into the front slot on the Retron5, and nothing happens. GBA games work fine, but GB games do not.

The Retron5 supports GB games, but do they mean using the Super GameBoy?

hikaricore
Site Admin

Re: How to play GameBoy games on the Retron5

Post by hikaricore » July 15th, 2016, 11:39 pm

GameBoy titles should work without the need for a Super GameBoy, check that your carts are clean and work with an actual GB device first.

shanafan

Post by shanafan » July 15th, 2016, 11:52 pm

I have worked with dirty carts before that worked after cleaning them, but I do not even get an error message. When I insert a GB cart, the message on the screen at the top still says "No cart inserted". The carts work on my GB. I can not push the GB cart into the Retron5 any further.

Lilith
לילית

Post by Lilith » July 15th, 2016, 11:58 pm

When I used my Retron 5, I just stuck with whatever firmware allowed Sonic lock-on (1.4?). A lot of the updates seem to break certain features, most notably Genesis games (also SMS games from the most recent update), so it's entirely possible that GB games don't work because of the firmware you're on.

shanafan

Post by shanafan » July 16th, 2016, 12:03 am

Thanks, I may try rolling back the firmware. I am on v2.3 Beta 3 (Build 2670).

shanafan

Post by shanafan » July 16th, 2016, 12:34 am

Updated to the newest release, v2.42 (Build 2914), system software v0.3.1 and still no dice.

TheLastKamikaze

Post by TheLastKamikaze » October 14th, 2016, 10:16 pm

I just tried an original GB cart now (Operation C) and it worked great - I have system software v 0.31 and firmware 2.42... I know this sounds silly but, are you inserting the cartridges properly (label facing up)?

...replying to an old post I know so, hopefully your issue is resolved already ;-)