Seiken Densetsu 3 & Silva saga 2 - Resolution

Discussion and listing of Retron 5 cartridge compatibility.
Forum rules
Retron 5 and it's predecessors are trademarked Hyperkin, Inc. Retron name is copyright Hyperkin, Inc. Content found in these forums may be copyright the respective developers and studios which said content is associated with. Retro5.net makes no claim legal or otherwise to this content and user submitted content is not screened. That being said, please refrain from posting or linking to full rom files so that everyone leaves us alone. Sometimes dogs are round.
tootyuk

Seiken Densetsu 3 & Silva saga 2 - Resolution

Post by tootyuk » January 22nd, 2015, 7:22 pm

Hi guys

Quick question re the above 2 games, is there a known issue with the resolution switching? if I have my panel in 'wide' mode, on the overworld/map screens the display is not good its too "zoomed" in, if I change the panel/tv's display to 4:3 its ok but when the game switches to say inside a house the display is too small. I cant find a happy medium and if I leave it at 4:3 the rate at which the intro switches resolutions on Seiken Densetsu 3 makes it tough on your eyes. is this making any sense to anyone? at first I thought it was just Seiken Densetsu 3 but ive not long got silva saga and it does the same with that. i'll try and do a vid and link it to demonstrate.

Great board btw!

R9delta
Patch Master

Re: Seiken Densetsu 3 & Silva saga 2 - Resolution

Post by R9delta » January 22nd, 2015, 8:35 pm

Yeah, Seiken Densetsu 3 uses a higher resolution mode and will switch between the normal and higher modes at times (I think Secret of Mana does the same thing) so it makes sense why there might be issues. Have you tried playing around 50/60hz setting on the Retron 5? Or the 'use original resolution' setting? I'm not confident those will fix the issue but it'd help to troubleshoot it i'm thinking.

On my TV the game works fine (currently on firmware 2.1 for reference) but i'm in the US and I'm not well-versed in the different TV standards between the US and PAL territories or if those still apply to modern TVs. That said I can definitely notice when the game switches between high and low resolution but I wouldn't say it's unplayable to the degree that you're noticing

tootyuk

Post by tootyuk » January 23rd, 2015, 6:30 pm

Cheers for the reply mate, well my retron is set to 'use original res' ive not messed with the hz yet i'll give that a whirl.
Re the TV's I don't think it matters now via HDMI mate as its a standard. the switching does my nut in, im tempted to get my US snes back out just to watch the intro and see the difference (or watch a YT vid which would be easier OFC!!)
my firmware is 2.2
i'll do a vid on it either way as its easier to see than to explain

tootyuk

Post by tootyuk » January 24th, 2015, 7:02 pm

here's a quick vid showing the issue

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&show_m ... k0P4IHEqkA

On reading up this looks to have a been a problem they ran into with the snes9x emulator a few years ago.

If no one else has this issue id be interested to know your retron 5 settings (filter, screen res etc)

Is there any known issues with using the current beta from Hyperkins site? I was thinking it might have fixed this?

***Update*** Applied the latest beta...still does the same thing :(

LoneGun

Post by LoneGun » January 25th, 2015, 9:37 am

tootyuk wrote:here's a quick vid showing the issue

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&show_m ... k0P4IHEqkA

On reading up this looks to have a been a problem they ran into with the snes9x emulator a few years ago.

If no one else has this issue id be interested to know your retron 5 settings (filter, screen res etc)

Is there any known issues with using the current beta from Hyperkins site? I was thinking it might have fixed this?

***Update*** Applied the latest beta...still does the same thing :(
I cannot see the Youtube video, it is giving me a no videos found error. I generally have my aspect ratio set to normal with force original resolution on and no filters in the Retron 5. However, I have encountered the same issue you are having. I then turn off force original resolution and it seems to keep the "normal" aspect ratio. I leave my TV in in the regular setting and it seems to hold the ratio once I turn off force original resolution. Also there is a newer than the betas non-beta release of the Retron 5 firmware v2.2 at http://retron5.in/node/6

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 25th, 2015, 11:13 am

So I went through some testing on mine as well. Mine has always worked thus far with these general settings I play at:

Filter: Super 2xSai (None works fine too)
Scanlines: On (None works too)
Use Original Resolution: Off (More on this at the bottom of this post)
Aspect Ratio: Normal (but stretched works also)
Screen Refresh Rate: Match Game
Screen Size Slider: All the way to the right
Console Region: Auto

TV Settings: "Just Scan" (basically no overscan)

Other: Retron software version is at v2.1 but I've played this game on many earlier versions with the same visual result including most of the betas since IPS patching was added to it.

After testing many options the only way I could actually get it to produce the same effect you're getting is to turn on "Use Original Resolution" option. It kind of makes sense why that causes the issue you're describing. When set to on the Retron is going to display 1:1 what the game is internally rendering at and normally your TV or Super Famicom would properly scale it to the desired aspect ratio. The "original resolution" option probably throws the last bit out of the mix. That's my guess anyway. Anyway if you don't have that particular setting on and you're still getting the same undesired result i'm not sure why to be honest but i hope it gets sorted for you man. A good idea though is to bring it up to Retron Tech on Facebook as well because once it's brought to his attention that kind of stuff was usually pretty quick to get fixed, at least in the past.

tootyuk

Post by tootyuk » January 28th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Thanks for the advice guys

Lonegun - That link was my version sorry - here is a the 'proper link'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk0P4IHEqkA
I've updated it to latest Beta Firmware already

R9Delta - Yep mate "use original setting" is whats throwing it off, using those settings does your display look ok though? I find anything other than "use OG setting" makes the display too blocky? ill try them though see if it helps.
Also logged a call with Hypkerkin and they are looking into it! which surprised me.

R9delta
Patch Master

Post by R9delta » January 28th, 2015, 7:16 pm

My preferred method of playing is with the 4:3 aspect ratio with scanlines and Super 2xsai enabled. It's probably about the most pleasing to me, at least when it comes to the Retron 5. With Super 2xSai off on SNES games it's a little bit too pixelated for me (although a lot of people are fans of the pure unfiltered look) so I tend to keep that on. I have to be honest though...there's not really any combination of settings that i'm truly 100% content with though. Emulators like RetroArch on the PC can look so much nicer than the Retron 5 with it's abundance of options, PROPER scanlines and many CRT filters. I tend to want a balance that's not purely unfiltered on full screen but doesn't smudge everything to shit either, and on the Retron (outside of using "Original resolution" which only takes up like a quarter of the screen on my TV) I don't really feel there's a satisfactory way to attain that.

tootyuk

Post by tootyuk » January 29th, 2015, 4:24 pm

Ah yes I switched mine to 4:3 on the tv and it helped I must admit.
I agree with the lack of display options, but it is only software at the end of the day so there is nothing stopping them doing their own version of those retroarch enhancements.

TheLastKamikaze

Post by TheLastKamikaze » February 29th, 2016, 10:22 pm

Thanks R9delta, your suggestion fixed my problem too... the word bubbles and screen image were all messed up... now, it looks perfect! My Sieken Densetsu 3 cart just arrived today and I was eager to try out my first ever Super Famicon cartridge (with a patch, as I can't read Kanji)... and thanks to your suggestion, I only encountered a minor delay ;-)